Urology Expert Forum
Non-hemolyzed blood in urine
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Non-hemolyzed blood in urine

I'll try to make this short, but a bit of a background.  I am a 71 year old female in excellent health, but smoke prox 1-1/2 packs of cigs a day.  Do not take any pills, not even an aspirin nor vitamin pills.  Approx 23 years ago, I repeatedly tested positive for blood in urine, so I had kidney x-rays, cystoscopy and various microhematuria tests.  Everything proved negative, so I did a little detective work, bought the urine chemstrips and noted that blood only showed after I drank coffee.  Fast forward to three weeks ago when I decided to have a general check up since I hadn't had one in over five years.  The doctor said my urine contained a lot of white blood cells and prescribed 100mg Macrobid twice a day for seven days.  I haven't been back to the doctor since then; however, I again bought urine strips that detect blood only, and the strips shows non-hemolyzed trace only after drinking beer or coffee.  If I drink a glass of water with a tsp of baking soda, the test strips come out negative.  I guess my question is "is it harmful to drink a glass of baking soda water daily?", or should I return to the doctor and go thru kidney x-rays, cystoscopy, etc again?  I really hate to give up my coffee and daily beer, but guess I will have to if it somehow is harming my bladder and/or entire urinary tract system.  Thanks for any help with this problem.