Urology Expert Forum
Numbness in penis and scrotum area post varicocele surgery

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Two weeks ago today, I had varicocele surgery for my left testicle - I know it may be early days, but I'm concerned by the persistent numbness in my penis and scrotum.  Only a day or so after surgery I couldn't feel anything at all, then gradually sensation returned, but not fully.  I read an article on the net published by the American Urological association stating that "Potential complications from an inguinal incision for varicocele include scrotal numbness and prolonged pain."   I can now get an erection and ejaculate, but is it possible that I could have permanent nerve damage, most importantly to the penis and that the numbness could interminably persist?

If so, what options do I have, surgically or otherwise?

Neal
This is a known complication of varcicele surgery.  In most cases, the numbness and pain resolve, but it is hard to predict how long this may take as it can vary from patient to patient.  

If the numbness persists, follow-up with your urologist would be wise to see if it is a complication from the surgery.  If this is not revealing, you may want to seek an opinion of a neurologist where electrodiagnostic testing can evaluate whether there is permanent nerve damage or not.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
0
I had varicocele surgery on my left testicle about 1.5 months ago. one of the things my doctor explained to me before the surgery how it you can see signs of varicocele. He said the reason why the left side of my testicles were hanging lower than the right side and the reason i was able to feel veins in my testicle that felt like a sack of worms were because they were signs of the varicocele. After the surgery, both of those indicators of varicocele were gone as he confirmed in a follow up appointment. It might just be me getting paranoid, but it seems as if the veins are still there and that the left side of my testicles are still hanging lower than my right (not always..generally after a hot shower) Should i be worried? Is there a chance of recurrence after these procedures?
Thanks,
David
A related discussion, varicocele surgery was started.