Urology Community
OILY SUBSTANCE IN URINE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

OILY SUBSTANCE IN URINE

I really hope to get some guidence on this question.  For the past year which may coincidently  be at the same time I had my gallbladder out,there is an oily substance floating on the top of my urine about 80% of the time.  It looks like when I have tried to describe it to the doctors like when you pour oil in water or how gasoline looks.  It is like a film on the top that swirls around.  I am really starting to worry because it is not going away .  It looks very toxic and it is embarrising to even tell my doctors about.  They have all done urinalisis and found nothing but they are just screening for infection and diebetes (diabetes) as far as I know.  I know it isnt supposed to be there and I keep hoping it goes away but it is not.  My doctors are not concerned because I think they dont believe me.  What should I do??  Also I have bluecare network in michigan so my pcp who doesnt think it is anything would not send me to a specialist for this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Are you currently on any medication that could have caused a change in the urine?

Have you had any significant weight loss since you started noticing these symptoms?

The most common cause of oily urine is ketones in urine. These appear in individuals with uncontrolled diabetes and also during periods of starvation or a stringent dietary regimen.

Presence of oily substance in urine along with orangish or dark yellow-colored urine can be attributed to biliary disease or jaundice.

You will need to increase your intake of water and  intake a minimum of 2000 ml per day.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol.

Do keep us poste don your doubts and progress.
Regards
I am not on any meds however this did start immediately after my gallbladder removal I do think there is a connection.  You also mentioned starvation mode. I do starve myself and I am 200 lbs. Im not saying I dont eat at all but my triglycerides are actually low usually 43-55 and everyone tells me I need to eat more but Im so afaid of getting bigger because my metabolism obviously doesnt work I only eat about800 calories a day. I have a very stringennt diet believe it or not.  I did loose 40lbs for no reason andfelt very ill then gained it back in a 2 and a half month period for no reason.  Still have the substance in my urine every day.  I dont know who to go to ive exausted all doctors I am going to u of m in the fall.  I know they have checked for ketones can that show up intermitantly?  I think it is something to do with the biliary disease and yes my eyes are a little jaundice some days not always.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The ideal way to lose weight is not to starve oneself. Starving yourself will only make the body pack in more stores for another bout of starvation, so you are not helping yourself by this process.

You will need to keep your calorie intake over 1000 per day if you want to lose weight.
It is possible that the gall bladder problem may have contributed partly to your weight gain.

The best option for you to lose weight would be to consume small meals very 2 hours or so. This need not be anything substantial - just a glass of milk or salad.
Your body's BMR would increase to burn up the calories supplied so frequently.

Jaundice would not appear on some days and not on others. It would persist and would only fade with improved liver function an or removal of the obstruction causing the jaundice.
Additionally, you would also have noticed altered stool color.

It is possible that the oily substance you have reported is just ketones produced in response to poor diet.

You will need to change your diet to fit in with your long-term goals of weight.

Do post here for any further guidance in this regard.
3 members of my family had the same orange/brown oily substance in urine only after eating a cake from chinatown in NYC.  We think it maybe some kind of added chemical in the cake that is screwing up our system.  Something you ate could have had this same substance.

We ate the cake at night after dinner.  The oily substance appeared in our urine first thing in the morning.  The rest of the day we were all fine.  
Im having the same problems too! A thin layer of oily substance floating on top...  its not that there is a lot of oil covering the urine but its partially visible.. I dont know why its being caused. I drink a lot of water too! But I have an irregular meal pattern! I take a sublingual medicine called Subutex. Upto 8mg per day. But the oil thing only started happening recently.
I have the same problem. Blood test shows that my Bilirubin is high at 45 umol/L (supposed to be less than 21). Other readings are normal, and my urine test is all good as well. I've seen 3 general doctors and they all say I have nothing to worry. But I am worried.
I was startled  to find out today that my urine also had this oily substance. Not having seen it before, I was very alarmed. I thought for awhile what changes I've had in my diet and all i could think about was I'd been having a lot of nuts, particularly cashews, for snacks during the day for a week.  So I wondered, if maybe the nuts which I assume has lot of fat content maybe attributing to thisirregularity.  Sure enough, i found other links where other people experienced the same thing.  
I was startled  to find out today that my urine also had this oily substance. Not having seen it before, I was very alarmed. I thought for awhile what changes I've had in my diet and all i could think about was I'd been having a lot of nuts, particularly cashes, for snacks.  A lot of it!  So I wondered, if maybe the nuts which I assume has lot of fat content maybe attributing to these irregularity.  Sure enough, i found other links where other people experienced the same thing.  
I am also having this problem. I am jaundiced. I was born jaundiced and then I got it again in my teens and haven't been able to get rid of it but I never had oily urine before. My diet is normal, I don't take meds, don't drink alcohol ever, no coffee, hardly drink caffeinated drinks just occasional chocolate or iced tea. My weight has been fairly constant 120-127lbs. I've been to Drs and blood test always indicate high bilirubin but Drs never seem concerned or offer any real solutions for high bilirubin or my jaundice. Also Dr has said I have subclinical hipothyroid but that its not significant enough to start any treatment. I don't know if I should find another Dr or trust his opinion.
Without your gallbladder, you will not assimilate oils and fats from digestion as quickly and completely as before. It may be possible that when you eat much more oil than your body can assimilate properly, you will get a tiny bit of oil in your urine. The amino acid taurine can stimulate bile flow to aid in fat absorption (and better digestion generally). Saponins may help too (in cilantro and many other foods with "soapy" texture).
Same symptoms here (looks like oil on urine, bilirubin has shown a bit high) going on for two years now. Urinalysis shows nothing but something is different. Anyone ever get a clear answer or resolution on this?
Anamika ,
I am also facing the same problem since 2 years. pl help me and tell me what blood test or urine test i should do. i am very tensed . my family has diabetic history. i have hypothiroide and high chelostrol level. pl help me .
I have had my gallbladder removed and face the same problem..oily urine..( that's how I'm here)the doctors are pathetic..they basically do not understand or know anything of illness unless it is written on a piece of paper.
High buluribine count is cause of not hav'n a gall bladder..one of the comments in here might be true..no gallbladder..so not able to digest oil