Urology Expert Forum
Off and on bladder pain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Off and on bladder pain

Hi Dr -

Back in October of 2004 while jogging I felt mild lower abnominal pain in the area of the bladder.  I urinated after the run and it was filled with blood.  It looked as though I pee'd rust.  My urine looked normal for the rest of the day and the next day.  I went to the Dr. 2 days later and they tested my urine and did indeed find blood that was not visibile.  I wasn't really in any pain, no kidney type back pain, no fever, etc. Just some bladder area discomfort. He thought maybe a kidney stone, but just sent me home to come back in a week to see if anything more developed.  Two days later I jogged again and peed bloody rust colored urine.  A day later I thought I saw a tiny grain of sand like particle in the toilet after uriniating.  I didn't feel it come out.  Afterwards I had no more lower bladder area pain.  Went back to the dr. and he said there was no longer blood in the urine and it was probably a tiny kidney stone.

That brings me to today.  For the last couple of months I have had the pain off and on.  No visible blood this time.  Sometimes I feel an uncomfortable feeling in my penis.  No buring or discomfort on urination, just an off and on "odd feeling"  almost as if the ureatha has been scraped or something.  There are no sores, redness or discharge of any kind.  Also I have an off and on dull testicle ache.  Not really painful, but just a bit annoying.  I have actually had this off and on for 4 years or so.  Just to be sure it wasn't something STD related 3 weeks ago I tested negative for gonerrea, chlymida and syphilis.  

Any thoughts before I go back to my Dr. would be appreciated.

Any bleeding in the urine needs to be further investigated.  Infection is one cause.  Other possibilities can be bladder diseases such as cancer or polyps, a kidney stone, or other kidney diseases.

Testing can include evaluate for STDs (as you have already done), a CT scan to look for stones as well as a cystoscopy to evaluate the bladder and lower GU tract for cancer or polyps.  A scrotal ultrasound can also further evaluate the cause of the testicular ache (looking for infection, torsion, a cyst or a testicular mass).

You can discuss these options with your personal physician or urologist.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
1 Comment
0