Urology Expert Forum
Ongoing testicular/epididymal pain and sensitivity

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hi Dr.,
This is a case of almost constant testicular/epididymal pain and sensitivity and I have received prior treatment from urologists. I will try to lay out the salient points. In 2004, I was sexually active with a girlfriend, condoms always used except for oral. I developed an infection under the foreskin ( I originally thought it was herpes but tested negative). I was terrified and I let it go untreated, the infection resolved within 1.5 weeks, at its maximum spread to the head of my penis. There was whitish foul smelling pus from only the under-foreskin area to my recollection. I don't remember having UTI-like symptoms. This was extremely emotional for me as this was my first sexual partner. I had an ear infection a month later and took antibiotics for a good period of time. 3 months after the foreskin infection I had a short bout of testicular pain, but it resolved itself soon w/o treatment. 3 completely uneventful years passed until mid-2007 when I noticed a sensitive area on my left testicle. Got worse, sensitivity spread, began to include right testicle. Went to a urologist, received antibiotics, no help. Ultrasound showed slight to minimal swelling. Went to another urologist the next year, same treatment plus a shot into my epididymides, no help. The second urologist said if he didn't know better, he would think the scrotal ultrasound done was more or less normal. It seems that what I had originally was a case of balanitis. I had a lot of other strange feelings in my body after the after the foreskin infection went away and they seemed to be emotional at the time. I never would have thought that a foreskin infection, untreated or not, could have such a damaging and lasting effect on the body, nerves, etc. I have not been in a relationship since 2004, I'm now 23, partly maybe due to these issues.I admit to performing the 'self-exam' frequently hoping I will feel no pain. A comprehensive assessment of my case would be  very much appreciated.
Genital issues many times have both a physical and an emotional side to them. We have a lot of psyche tied up in these parts of our bodies which have such intense personal and social significance. Reading your description of your experience and the treatment provided leads me to the conclusion that, while the physical side of the problem has been well addressed, the emotional has not. You have seen the proper specialists and they have provided treatment, but the discomfort has not only remained, but now seems to consume a lot of your energy. I think that you would be best served by seeing a psychologist/social worker to help you deal with emotional side of this issue which is not going away and becomes more difficult to treat the longer that it is allowed to remain un-addressed. The problem is treatable, you just have to deal with it from the proper angle.
Good luck!