Urology Community
Overactive Bladder Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Overactive Bladder Question

For about three years I have had an overactive bladder. Started off as multiple urinary infections, but then my urine stopped showing an infection. I was needing to go within 10 minutes of the last time I went, I would go like 3-4 times a night, and the urge was strong. I never had an accident then or up to now. Cancer, diabeties, heart disease, and prostate issues run in the family. I am 27, male, 6'3", and I used to weigh 298. I went through about five different medications and finally found one that works called Sanctura XR. During a recent health screening up at work I had a little scare where my blood pressure was approaching pre-hypertension, my blood sugar was around 95, and my cholesterol was starting to go up. Over the past month I took steps to improve my health. I started the Nutrisystem diet. I am exercising regularly for about 20 minutes a day. In the past month I am have lost 18 pounds. About a week ago I noticed an improvement in my bladder. Sanctura worked great for me and virtually eliminated 92% of my urges and made life normal. Although, it stops my ability to sweat normally, dry mouth, dry eyes, and constipation. Compared to how OAB was ruining my life and making me want to stay home 24/7 I could live with those side effects. For the past week I went off my medicine. I am not having any major urges. I am not urinating at night. I am going to the restroom several times a day, but that is to be expected with drinking 2.5-3 32 oz bottles of water every day, a 20oz protein shake, and a small v8 can of vegetable juice. I can space out my bathroom breaks to 2-4 (mainly 3-4 hours) between visits. My urologist retired last year. I plan on going back in June for my yearly check in and prescription renewal. Up at work they are really trying to cut costs. I get like $650 in flex money every year for my medical expenses and not having a yearly $400 prescription every year will really stretch that farther. I have a dentist and glasses to think about. Is it possible that my OAB was just caused by my 38 bmi and 298 pounds? Can losing weight possibly cure me? My other question is just out of curiousity. Does a OAB show up in a urine test or is it pretty much urine is normal and the person says they have the urgency to pee? Just curious on if you can really have a concrete test to see if I am normal on the bladder front. Please advise. I promise to still go to urologist and get checked this year, but I was curious if my weight loss could really cure my OAB.