PSA Levels and what they suggest and mean
In 2007, my PSA level was at 3.  It has gone up to 5.7 now in 2009.  I have a family history of prostrate cancer(Various forms of cancer run in my family on both sides).  Can you tell me what this would suggest and mean?  I am to schedule an appointment to see a urologist soon.  My primary doctor seemed to be really concerned about this jump in 2 years and mentioned "if they find prostrate cancer" several times.

Could she be trying to prepare me in the event that they would find it?  Or should I even be concerned about the possibility at all?  I am also 58 y/o and will be 59 y/o in October of this year.

Gramps in Indianapolis IN
     How are you? PSA is a prostrate specific antigen, which is secreted normally and a level below 4.0ng/ml is considered normal level. The level of PSA can rise in case of prostatitis, recent ejaculation, digital rectal examination of the prostrate, BPH and instrumentation of the prostrate.
To come to a conclusion on diagnosis of cancer PSA index, trans rectal ultrasound, DRE of the prostrate, x-rays and cystoscopy are required. Consult a urologist for further assistance.
Best.

I had a PSA of 3.4 on Dec 16 08. Now its 6.7 on June 17, 09.. What do you think is up?