Urology Community
PSA Levels and what they suggest and mean

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

In 2007, my PSA level was at 3.  It has gone up to 5.7 now in 2009.  I have a family history of prostrate cancer(Various forms of cancer run in my family on both sides).  Can you tell me what this would suggest and mean?  I am to schedule an appointment to see a urologist soon.  My primary doctor seemed to be really concerned about this jump in 2 years and mentioned "if they find prostrate cancer" several times.

Could she be trying to prepare me in the event that they would find it?  Or should I even be concerned about the possibility at all?  I am also 58 y/o and will be 59 y/o in October of this year.

Gramps in Indianapolis IN
     How are you? PSA is a prostrate specific antigen, which is secreted normally and a level below 4.0ng/ml is considered normal level. The level of PSA can rise in case of prostatitis, recent ejaculation, digital rectal examination of the prostrate, BPH and instrumentation of the prostrate.
To come to a conclusion on diagnosis of cancer PSA index, trans rectal ultrasound, DRE of the prostrate, x-rays and cystoscopy are required. Consult a urologist for further assistance.
Best.

I had a PSA of 3.4 on Dec 16 08. Now its 6.7 on June 17, 09.. What do you think is up?