Urology Community
PSA elevated biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

PSA elevated biopsy

I am a 58 year old white male with no history of prostate cancer in my family (father (80), 4 uncles, grandparents  and 4 brothers, also many male cousins). I had a PSA reading of 3.68, the year before it was 1.7. After doing a DRE which was good my prostatitis flared up, I've had prostatitis flare ups for the last 30 years and my urologist prescribes cipro.  He did the same this time and I requested another PSA but he said he still would do the biopsy.  I did another PSA and just before he did the biopsy he said my new PSA reading was 1.2 but he still did the biopsy.  The biopsy turned out fine (he took 12 of them), not a very pleasant experience - still recovering (little over a week). He wants to redo the PSA in 6 months and said if its high he'll do another biopsy.  I'm thinking something doesn't seem right.  I asked the info to be sent to my GP but he got only the biopsy results and the high reading. I've dealt with this urologist for a long time but is it time to seek out a new one?