Urology Expert Forum
PSA elevation and bicycle riding

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

PSA elevation and bicycle riding

1. Will Casodex 150 reduce PSA level in an elevation caused by cycle riding (eg. a non cancerous condition).

2. Can cycle riding cause a PSA level to rise to 14.5? If so, how is it reduced?

Note: I was treated for prostate cancer 6 years ago. Recently in a matter of a few months my PSA rose to 14.5.  I have been on Casodex since July 2003 which has reduced the PSA to 2.5. I started cycling in the gym April 2003. I would like to know whether the cycling could be the cause of the PSA elevating.
1) If the PSA is elevated by bicycle riding, the PSA should decrease whether you are on Casodex or not.  Transient irritation of the prostate (i.e. from bicycle ridine) can cause an elevation in PSA that would be temporary.  

2) It can be possible that the PSA can rise to that level from the bicycle riding.  Other potential causes would include prostate infections or inflammation.

However, given the fact you have a history of prostate cancer, I would err on the side of caution before attributing the reason to bicycle riding.  I would obtain a free PSA level and discuss these levels with your urologist to ensure that this isn't a recurrance of the cancer.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.