Urology Community
Pain after catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Pain after catheter

I went to the ER for severe lower back pain. They put in a catheter to drain my bladder.  It was hard to get the catheter in and they removed it before I went home.  After removal, I had a small tear at the hole of my penis.  It now hurts like hell to urinate.  My urine sprays and it burns real bad at the tip when I urinate.  What can I do???
    How are you? Pain while urination after the removal of foley's can occur frequently and in many cases, but a tear in the urethra is of concern. Do you have any bleeding at the tip of urethra?
Symptoms of infection such as urinary frequency, urgency, or pain or burning sensation; blood in urine, fever; increased lower abdominal pain; or foul-smelling discharge from the urethra require complete investigation of the condition.
A urine examination, urethral swab culture and examination of the urethra for any stricture or tear is necessary.
I would suggest to take the opinion of a urologist. The below link can help you with further information.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/foley_catheter/page10_em.htm

Hey Eric,

I recently tore my urethral hole at the tip of my penis as well, although my tore came from a freak accident, and have experienced the same issues you have (sprayed urine and an irritating sensation when I urinate)  I went to the urologist about a week ago and unfortunately, I was not very pleased with my visit to the doc.  He said it looked okay (almost annoyed with me for coming in), but checked out the problem by expanding the urethra hole very forciably.  It hurt like hell when he did it and it wasn't until I got home that I looked and realized that he tore the hole even more!!  It goes without saying, I was pretty pissed.  I haven't decided if I want to go back to the urologist.  It is still very irritated when I urinate.  I figure I'll give it a few more days before going to a different urologist to take a look.  My only advice is to make sure the doc doesn't examine you the way he did me.  They should be able to take a look at the hole by just looking at it.  Good luck, and post a comment back to this if you get any good information about the tear.  I'd be very interested to know what you hear.  Thanks!