Urology Expert Forum
Pain after urinating

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Pain after urinating

I am a 41-year-old female.  For the past few days I've felt an intense internal pain and urge to urinate just as I finish urinating.  There is no pain during the start or middle of urination... only when I'm almost finished.  After finishing I still feel like I really need to go.  It's keeping me awake for hours at night because you can't sleep if it feels like you need to go to the bathroom.  (There is no loss of urine or incontinence.)  I've never had a UTI or bladder infection and have been monogamous for the past 20 years.

Any idea what this might be?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

The most common reason for urinary frequency and pain when urinating (known as dysuria) is infection.  Your urine should definitely be tested for a UTI - this is a simple test that is done at your doctor's office.

If negative, I would also be tested for STDs (gonorrhea or chalmydia) no matter how unlikely the possibility.  

Another consideration would be perimenopause.  As one enters menopause there is the possibility of irritation of the urethral and vaginal muscoa.  If the workup is not revealing this possibility may be considered early menopause is a possibility.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
hi. im having intense pain in my vagina after i urinated. it's been 30 minutes and the pain is still there. what ia the possible cause of this? i just had an intercourse one day ago. does that have to do with this? thanks a lot.
A related discussion, suddenly pain was started.