Urology Community
Pain after urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Pain after urination

I'm a 21 year old male.  I occasionally experience a painful discharge of urine after straining for a bowel movement which causes pain in the urethra near the tip of the penis for about 30mins afterwards.

This is by no means regular, and often happens if I'm stressed, either late for something or very nervous.  It tends to happen when I have to strain to excrete.

I'm just wondering if it's normal and, if not, what it could be? Many thanks.
There can be some reasons for painful urination after straining for excretion. It is most often caused by an infection somewhere in the urinary tract. It can be due to urinary tract infection, interstitial cystitis, urethritis caused by Chlamydia or Gonorrhea or prostatitis. During urination, the bladder contracts and expels the urine throught the urethra.  When the bladder is almost empty, it continues to contract down to squeeze out the last few drops.  As the prostate is adjacent to the bladder neck, the prostate gland gets squeezed by this action. It may also get squeezed while straining during defecation. So prostatitis is a strong possibility. I suggest you to get an examination done from a urologist and get all these possibilities evaluated. You need to get some investigations like urine examination, culture, ultrasound if the prostate and bladder, prostate specific antigen, examination of the prostatic fluid and cystoscopy done. Treatment is diagnosis specific.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.