Urology Expert Forum
Pain at bottom of kidney 2-weeks after removing ureter stent

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I have pain at the bottom of my kidney just behind the bottom of the rib cage.  Seemingly in the same location as the top end of a ureter stent that was in place for 24 days.  The stent was removed 12 days ago.  For the first few days afterwards I noticed a decrease in lower kidney pain.  For the last 5 days, I have had a mild but constant (and probably growing) pain at the location described.  It seems worse than when the stent was in.  Five days ago, was experiencing chills but no fever.  Went to doctor had urinalysis, no infection was found.  Have not had a fever but have experienced chills every day (I live in Florida so this is strange.)

What could be the possible causes of the continued kidney pain?  A ureter obstruction? continued iritation of the area iritated by stent?  Should I take a wait and see approach (will go back for ultrasound in 10 days) or immediately inform doctor?  

History.
5 weeks ago had kidney stone diagnosis.  Had doctor perform cystoscopic surgery to retrieve stone.  Doctor failed to get stone but put in first stent.  1 week later.  Doctor removed stent and told me stone would pass in day or so.  1 day later was back in emergency room.  Had CT, new doctor told me I had a perforated ureter and needed a stent.  New doctor retrieved stone and installed 2nd stent.  1 week later had CT scan with contrast to check on perforation.  Doctor said performation was closing or had closed.   2 weeks after that (24 days total 2nd stent time), the send stent was removed.  1 week after stent removed, went to clinic for urinalysis which was clean.  It is now 10 days later and I present with the condition above.

sfmn
You can consider a repeat CT scan to ensure the stone has passed.  If the stone was still there, it can lead to discomfort.  

You can also consider a kidney ultrasound to evaluate for enlargement of the kidney (hydronephrosis).  

All the scenarios that you have mentioned - obstruction, irritation of the ureter from the stent, another stone - are all possible.

If the imaging studies are negative, you can consider another scope to evaluate the ureters.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b