Urology Expert Forum
Pain in kidney area

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Pain in kidney area

One year ago I began having a constant dull pain in my right kidney area.  I believe what might have caused this is I had recently backed into a fence and a screw jammed into my lower right back area causing a lot of pain for a few minutes.   That pain seemed to go away after a few days, but about a week later the constant pain set in.  Just to paint a full picture, at that same time I was going through an episode of food poisoning (e coli) and was being treated with Levaquin.  Because of the sickness/medication I also had prostatitus and possibly colitus.

9-10 months ago, my doctor gave me a CT scan and MRI but nothing showed up. I had blood and urine tests done at the same time but that looked good.  The constant pain feels like somebody has their fist pushed into the side of my back. Occasionally I'll also feel discomfort on my side and in the front under my ribs.  I don't have any other problem symptoms like changes in urination, etc.

If I damaged my kidney when backing into that screw, should something show up on a CT or MRI?  Could my other sicknesses have caused any kind of damage?  Thanks
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

If the CT scan, MRI, blood and urine tests were normal (i.e. I assume testing for kidney function, electrolytes and a urinalysis) - that is pretty good to exclude kidney damage.  

Without examining you, it is impossible to say where the pain is coming from.  If you had an episode of colitis, you may want to consider an endoscopy to see if the discomfort is coming from a GI source.  

Another suggestion would be to see a physiatrist (a rehabilitation specialist) to see if there is any musculoskeletal cause that may be contributing to your symptoms.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
A related discussion, My daughter's pain was started.
A related discussion, enlarged prostate was started.