Urology Expert Forum
Pain in tip of Penis and sometimes pain with urination

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I received oral sex from a girl about 2.5 months ago. Also the person that gave the oral sex was somebody I knew, they weren't off the street. About a week later I started having a burning sensation in the tip of my penis and occasionaly a burning feeling when urinating.  The burning sensation in the tip of my penis comes and goes as well as the pain when urinating. The urination pain seems to hurt more when I am dehydrated.  I have had two separate urine tests done for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea both have come back negative.  One test was administered by my General Practioner and the other by my Urologist.

Let's also keep in mind I am only 28.  Often times when I have the burining sensation in the tip of the penis it will be accompanied by cramps in my lower abdomen, pain in the testicles or lower back pain.  This pain generally intensifies or comes on when I am sitting, though it does sometimes come on when standing or walking.

After visiting the urologist he checked the inside of my penis (just looking inside by eye).  The urologist told me there is nothing to worry about and the pain is often associated with guilt of receiving oral sex outside of your current relatioship when you in a monogamous relationship. He said the symptoms should subside in a month.  To be on the safe side he gave me doxycycline for 10 days as well.

I am becoming very frustrated, never had any of these symptoms before and this is not the first time I have had oral sex.  In my opinion it's not normal to have this pain persist on and off for nearly three months without an explanation.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Do I need to worry about another possible condition?
If there was an infection would doxycycline kill it?
What should I have my urologist look for now?

Thanks for your time.
Doxycycline is typically used to treat Chlamydia.  I would ensure that there isn't anything wrong with the prostate - since infections here can lead to your symptoms.

I would suggest a thorough rectal exam, and to culture any prostatic fluid.  Appropriate antibiotics would be considered if anything grew out.

A transrectal ultrasound can also be considered to evaluate for any prostatic abscesses - if present, antibiotics won't be good enough to treat this.  

If infection has been ruled out, you may want to consider a cystoscopy to evaluate for any anatomical abnormalities (i.e. a urethral stricture or polyp).  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
0
0
0