Urology Community
Pain management in bladder reconstruction in children

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Recently my daughter underwent surgery to have her ureters reimplanted, remove an ureterocele and to tighten the neck of her bladder. She had a catheter in place for 7 days. For 5 of the 7 days she had excruciating pain from bladder spasms and after the catheter was removed she continued to have spasms when she passed urine, which happened very frequently.

Apparently spasms occur frequently after having surgery on the bladder and catheterisation, particularly in girls from 6 to 12 years of age.

The pain killers offered at the hospital were morphine as well as neurofen and paracetamol. None of those seemed to be effective and she would scream some times for 2 hours until the spasms eased.

My question is what drugs can be used in children effectively to manage bladder spasms after surgery in children. As a parent it is very distressing watching your child in so much pain and being unable to offer any relief.