Urology Expert Forum
Painful Vein Along Side of Penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Painful Vein Along Side of Penis

Hello, I am only 19 and I just noticed about a week ago that I have a swollen and hard vein along the right side of my penis.
  The vein is palpable and noticably hard even without an erection.
  With an erection, however, it visibly protrudes just underneath the skin of the penis and becomes painful to the touch.
  The vein extends from the base of the penis to an area on right side near the tip which is slightly bloated when unerect and is painful when touched.
  The pain results in unsatisfying unsustained erections. Urinary functions continue as normal.
  My penis has always had a slight curviture to the right, but not so much as to make it an inconvenience.
  I was worried that I might be in the early stages of Peyronie's Disease.
  I am in a non-sexual relationship, and I've found, over the last couple of months, that after being intimite (usually with clothes on) my penis was often sore. Would this count as a penial trauma that might cause Peyronie's Disease, or whatever my condition may be?
  Since the swollen vein was only noticed a week ago I hope to get some indication as soon as possible as to whether or not my condition is serious or if it is somewhat common.
  Since my family does not have a family doctor or physician, and the waiting list here in Canada for doctors is excessive, I could use advice concerning where to turn for personal diagnosis and help as well. (ie. walk-in clinic, or emergency room...)
  I thank anyone very much who is able to provide me with some information and insight concerning my condition.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear CMS,
Superficial veins on the shaft of the penis are normal and usually do not cause any pain.  However, sometimes a vein can become thrombosed (clotted) and will then feel like a cord and may cause pain.  I can not say why you may have developed this, but this is usually self limited and will go away in several weeks. If your physician makes this diagnosis, then anti-inflammatory medication may be indicated. However, since penile lesions can not be assessed on the internet, I am not in the position of evaluating you.  If this pain persists and the vein continues to feel hard and tender, I recommend you see your personal physician or a urologist who would be in better position to evaluate and possibly treat this condition.
I do not think that you have Peyroni
-1 Comments
A related discussion, Sexual Health was started.
A related discussion, Peyronie's Disease? was started.