Urology Community
Pains and symptoms after ureteroscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Pains and symptoms after ureteroscopy

My name is Gavin and I am from the UK.

Six weeks ago, I started to get kidney and bladder pains. The kind when you know you have a stone (I have had one before) or perhaps an aggressive infection in that area. Well, to cut a long story short after 4 weeks of huffing and puffing and not passing a stone and a few x-rays they took me in for a ureteroscopy, this time finding no stone and discharging me telling me to take tamsulosin (Flomax), only for me to pass a stone the night after the scope (Saturday). I called in and dropped off the stone at the hospital and they told me they would get back to me about what to do.... I still had pains until the next weekend and frequent urination until the thursday or friday when I started feeling great again. So on Monday I stopped the tamsulosin and on Tuesday all the pains started up again, so on Wednesday I restarted it. I have spoken to my specialist's sectretary and she has managed to get no advice on what I should do about taking Tamsulosin and why should I, as I had already passed the stone? My pains have continued, with frequent urination until today where things seem to be getting a "little" better. I really don't see why I need to be on tamsulosin for so long, why if I have passed the stone? Could there be a prostate problem here? Surely they would have seen signs of that in a ureteroscopy, but my specialist doesn't seem to be getting me much advice here... Should I expect at least 2-3 weeks of bladder pain and frequent urination after a ureteroscopy? Can anyone give me advice?  

Thanks,

Gavin
Gavin,
My experience with Flomax is that it is normally used to treat BPH in men. Although physicians can prescribe it for other reasons if they think that it may work like to relax the muscles in the urethra. For Flomax to work you have to take it daily for 14-30 days before you see any effect. As for the stones, they should be able to analyze the stone to see what the make up is of it.  Urine cultures should be done to rule out any infection if one hasn't been done.  Also they can look at your kidneys and bladder with ultrasound to see if there is anything blocking the way.  The prostate is very tricky so you have to have that evaluated closely.  After a scope, remember that they passed a tube in and out your ureters etc..so there can be some irritation caused by that.  It may take a few weeks for you to feel better. You shouldn't feel worse, but if you do go back to your doctor and let him know.  Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the lab to analyze the stones.
Hi there... I recently had a ureterscopy done on both ureters which resulted in a stent placed in each one. That was two weeks ago, and my pain in my bladder and blood in my urine have only just stopped. I alerted my Dr's office several times and they told me to just hold out - that it should pass. It took two weeks, but it has finally dissapeared. Good luck to you!
Becky
Thanks for the help and advice on this one.

It seems that I have contracted Acute Bacterial Prostatitis and am taking Ciproflaxicin as an antibiotic, which I started earlier this week and it is slowly sorting it out. My pains got worse after I posted but they are now clearing up. I hope they continure this way.

Thanks again. I see my specialist tomorrow.

Gavin
I have bilateral ureteric stones, and have just had surgery the right stone is in my upper ureter. Surgeon tryed to laser it but without success due to poor vision. I also have stones in my left side but surgeon attempted but couldnt get passed pelvic brim. However I am now left with 2 stents and excruciating pain and awaiting more surgery in 4 weeks time. I find it terrible painful to pass urine and there is still alot of blood after 5 days of being in surgery. The pain is excruciating and increases when i go to the toilet, however i have still not been able to open my bowels and im in constant pain... Is this normal to have to put up with this pain for 4 weeks??
My sister had the treatment where they put the tube inside you now she is having incontent of bowel and urine is this normal she still has the tube inserted
Hi ,

i was diagnosed with having a 5mm renal stone. The docs couldnt get the stone out in the first ureteroscopy. so a jj stent was placed to loosen up the ureter. and was told to wait for 4 weeks before a second procedure is done. Its been 3 weeks already and although the throbing pain is reduced. i still pass out alot of blood and it really hurts when passing out urine. am not able to walk around alot. so am indirectly bed bound.

I too am given tamsulosin (Flomax), and waiting for the stone too be passed.
but will these bladder pains and blood stop after this ?
despite this i still need to have the Ureteroscopy done again to have the jj stent removed. Really dont know what to expect now and how long its going to take for this to heal. The doctors said that bladder pain might be due to stones breaking and scratching the pipe.

Rishi