Penile Discharge
In about August 2010 I had unprotected sex with a new partner and after about two to three weeks later i started to experience a clear penile discharge and pain when urinating. I was given treatment with azithromycin in September and tested for all STDs. They came back negative, although i later learned that this was a clerical error and i had been diagnosed with Chlymidia.

I was told to stop masterbating for six weeks and I duly did so, and whilst the pain when urination stopped, i continued to suffer from penile discharge.

I returned to the GUM clinic in November 2010, was tested again and again came back positive for Chlymidia, despite the anti-biotics I was treated with above. I had had one sexual contact with a partner in early October in the interim but I had worn a condom.

I was treated with a week's course of Amoxicillan, which had no effect on my symptons. As such i was given a further week's course of Doxycycline, at which point the symptons (discharge) began to calm but did not disappear. I went back to the GUM clinic at the end of december and had further swabs taken at which point i was told that I had no pus cells in the discharge. Nonetheless, I was given a further 2 weeks of Doxycycline and once again the symptoms began to calm but did not go away.

For the past 4 - 8 weeks i have been suffering with repeated fits and starts, whereby the symptoms will very nearly disappear only to flare up again. Last week the discharge was minimal, but this week it is very bad.

My most recent urine analysis (mid January) came back negative for chlymidia, so I am really stuck as to where to turn now.

At times the tip of my urethra is sore and i can only assume it is because of the discharge on a regular basis. I have witheld from masterbation for over two weeks but it seems to have little effect.

Can you please let me know what it might be or what I should do?

Apart from Chlamydia it can be due to prostatitis or urethritis. Prostatitis can be Bacterial and abacterial and acute (sudden and short period) and chronic (carrying on for long time) types. The usual presentation is pain at the base of the tip of the penis and also to the base. It can also be associated with pain after passing of urine, a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bladder and a need to go to pass urine very often though with little or no urine. A culture of the expressed prostatic secretions (EPS) can help in ruling out or confirming the diagnosis. A test named as Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test can also help as PSA is raised in Prostatis. A Urologist can diagnose the condition by digital examination.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate it - what is the treatment?