Urology Expert Forum
Penile Glans(glands) Vein Thrombosis?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Penile Glans(glands) Vein Thrombosis?

Dear Doc: 24 hours after rigorous sex with my girlfriend I noticed what I believe is a vein bulging through the skin of my glans (glands) on it's upper left hemisphere. At first I thought it might be a water blister, but it has not "popped" after a period of 48 hours. There is no physical discomfort and I'm not experiencing any other symptoms, such as discharge nor any other redness or swelling. My urethra is sore as is normal per the heightened level of sexual activity, but it has a normal appearance. After doing a little internet study I came upon your site and a discussion of Penile Vein Thrombosis and Mondor's disease, but this seemed to be limited to the dorsal penis. The sex acts included a prolonged period of fellatio prior to vaginal intercourse. The vein is cord like and in the shape of an "S" and is firm to the touch. It appears to have some vasculature surrounding the raised "S". Please help, I'm reluctant to go to the doctor for personal reasons.
Tough to say without seeing the lesion.  I would be checked for various diseases and STDs - which can be done via simple urine study.

Penile vein thrombosis can be diagnosed clinically by a urologist or your personal physician.  You can also consider an ultrasound of the penis.

If this is the case, you can consider non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, which should resolve the lesion within a few weeks.  

I would discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0