Urology Community
Penile Torsion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Penile Torsion

I am a 25-year-old male and I believe I have what is referred to as "penile torsion". I have done some research and understand surgery may be a possibility in correcting the torsion. This problem is effecting me psychologically to the point where I cannoteven be intimate anymore. I also sometimes have trouble urinating and getting a consistent flow of urine. I am in desperate need of some guidance. I live in Northern NJ and would need a doctor within the state to help me. Thank you.
Hi there,
Torsion of the penis, with or without a minor degree of hypospadias, is a congenital abnormality that is being diagnosed more frequently and referred to pediatric surgeons.
For details refer to http://www.springerlink.com/content/lu134752u1932r30/.
There are several procedures for penile torsion. The functional and cosmetic results in the two groups are compared and specific indications for the two techniques are discussed. There is a subcoronal sulcus approach and the second is the Johnston's procedure. The first technique is suggested as the procedure of choice because it involves minimal complications and gives the best cosmetic results.
I’m sorry I would not be able to give details about a surgeon in your state. Probably your family physician could help you.
If you have any further queries do get in touch with me.
Regards,
Dr Sylvester, MD
I think I do have a few more questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Very generous of you.
First question : What are the chances of finding a doctor willing to perform this surgery ?
and secondly, how familiar is your "every day" Urologist going to be on this issue ?
I am also not sure if insurance would even pay for it. It could be argued that my penis is functioning fine but it is really effecting me psychologically.
To be honest, having a name for it is really helpful.
On a positive note, there seems to be alot of extra skin there and when I pull it to straighten out the torsion it is almost entirely connected.
CORRECTED, not CONNECTED. typo