Urology Expert Forum
Penile numbness

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Penile numbness

I am begging for your expert direction. I am 28 years old and have lost sensation in my penis. On the best days, the skin is less sensitive to touch, on the worst days I cannot feel anything at all. 6 months ago, a partner user her hand very vigorously and it became completely numb, (skin and tissue underneath). After several weeks, it began returning to where just the skin is less sensitive. Now, it may start to become better, and all of a sudden a sharp, pulsating pain will occur for 3 to 10 seconds and while I had been getting noticeably better, it will be completely numb inside and out again in my penis and underneath to my anus. Usually it is accompanied by a bulge (not just a bump) in varying sizes on the left side, which is where I feel the pain, when it occurs. Is it possible that there is an injury that bleeds inside and could cause the nerve to become compressed? It sounds very similar to the "Penile Nerve Damage" post from a couple of days ago as far as the symptoms. But why the sudden pain and bulge? If nothing more, could you please give me a direction that I can request testing for? I have seen two Urologists. One of them said it was mild Peyronies (although there is no curvature),and the second said that it was stress. They performed no tests other than visual assessment.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise.
There are a couple of tests to consider.  One would be n ultrasound to ensure there are no anatomic abnormalities (i.e. bleeding that can be causing your symptoms).  

Another would be the bulbocavernous reflex test.  This would involve the physician squeezing the glans (glands) (head) of the penis, which immediately causes the anus to contract if nerve function is normal. A physician measures the latency between squeeze and contraction by observing the anal sphincter or by feeling it with a gloved finger inserted past the anus.

However, if the urologic evaluation is not helpful (which is what it seems likely in this case), I would suggest a referral to a neurologist.  Electrodiagnostic testing can be considered to further evaluate any nerve damage.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.