Urology Expert Forum
Penis / Urethral Pain Due to Frostbite? STD?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hello, let me start by thanking any or all medical specialists who read and respond to my concerns. I am a 22 year old white male who is sexually active.  I have never been diagnosed with any STD's.  4 weeks ago I received fellatio from a woman from my university, who reported never having STD's (although I am unsure of her sexual history and/or STD testing).  The day after, the head of my penis was slightly painful due to chaffage, which I have experienced before from fellatio so was not concerned.  I went running that day however in 30 degree f. weather with only shorts (no underwear) for approximately 45 minutes.  My penis hurt on the latter 20 minutes of the jog which I assumed was from the chaffage/minor cold.  When I got back and took a showever however, my penis was very cold.  The head of my penis felt enlarged in comparison to the extreme shrinkage of my penis.  It felt like a combination of the chaffage getting very cold causing some sort of inflammation as a result of the cold.  After taking a hot shower for a while I felt much better.  The chaffage pain continued for a few days and then tapered off.  Approximately 10 days later, I came down with a cough, mild sore throat and mild headache.  This lasted for 10 days off an on.  I eventually received a prescription of Azithromyacin for it, and it cleared up and I feel fine.  Four weeks on now, I still feel an off and on non-specific pain in my penis, but more specifically it feels like my urethra hurts right inside the head of my penis (not in the shaft).  By looking in my urethra, the urethra looks red and a little inflamed, although this might just be normal, hard to tell.  There is no sign of infection, blisters, any skin rash, any abnormality on the exterior of my penis or genital region.

Basically I am concerned about two things.  First and foremost, I am concerned about an STD.  The timing of the cough/sore throat/headache plus mild urethral pain concerned me about a herpes diagnosis.  I have had no discharge, and since the Zithro did not end the pain I have ruled out gonorea or chlamydia (don't have any of the symptoms). I also have NO pain while urinating, which is the bizarre part.  The urethra seems to occasionaly just ache, but again the pain cannot be pinpointed to my urethra, it could just be the headof the penis.  Hard to tell.  It is NOT tender to touch.  Seems to be spontaneous pain.

One question is, is it possible I may have sustained nerve damage as a result of the chaffage/extreme cold to my penis?  However, I have no loss of feeling in my penis, can achieve erection perfectly well and no pain while ejaculation or urination or masturbation.  Basically medically, it seems I have this phantom like pain in my penis and penis head, which feels very similiar to the original chaffage/cold feeling.  I am very concerned though because of the timing of the headache/cough/sore throat.  Is herpes a potential threat here as a cause of the cough(etc) and urethral pain?

It may be possible that the pain is related to nerve damage.  More likely it is being cause from the skin irritation.  

However, as you surmised, I would rule out infection first - including testing for STDs (via a urethral swab or urine test) and a thorough evaluation of the prostate.  There are some cases of prostatitis that may require an extended course fo antibiotics.  

A cystoscopy can be considered to evaluate for any anatomical abnormalities of the lower GU tract (i.e. a urethral stricture or polyp).  

It is true that gonorrhea can manifest as a sore throat.  Blood cultures can be obtained as well as the appropriate urethral swabs looking for this.  Swabbing non-genital sites for gonorrhea can also be considered if this is still suspected.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
0
0