Urology Community
Penis Vein/Damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Penis Vein/Damage

In April, my partner experienced a prominent vein develop during masturbation and he has became concerned about it in the past weeks. The vein is on the right side near the bottom and developed where his right hand was. He occasionally masturbates off and on for several hours at a time. He's 25 years old and he says he has masturbated once daily for 10 years. He have been able cut back on masturbation (three times) in the past week and he completely lost interest in doing it, so leaving it alone is not an issue. We have not had intercourse yet either.

He saw a doctor that said it was probably just a normal variation, possibly a varice. His urine test was clear. His erection gets completely hard and everything works properly. I am concerned about a few things.

1. When he masturbated that time, his penis became inflamed, but swelling went down. What would that mean?

2. He was holding the penis and felt the vein become large instantly. Does this indicate anything?

I've been reading up on this and it seems like it might be Mondor's disease (Blood Clot) or possibly a varicose vein. He has pain from the penis vein to the lower right abdomen, up to where the external iliac vein is. The pain (3/10) is resolved by 400mg ibuprofen entirely. He's had a varicocele and mild varicose veins in his legs for 7 years. Varicose veins run in his family.

3. From masturbation, the foreskin has darkened. Will this be permanent?

After he has reduced masturbation, the vein size has slightly decreased and the foreskin is less dark.

4. What damage can excessive masturbation cause exactly?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
From the symptoms the possibility of Mondor’s disease needs to be ruled out. It is superficial thrombophlebitis of the penis. This is an inflammatory reaction to a clot within the vein. This subsequently causes blockages and dilation of the vein. It is typically painless, but can be painful. In studies, patients were noted to have thrombophlebitis after a prolonged sexual act with or without intercourse. It was described as cord-like thickening of the superficial penile veins. Diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound.

As the age advances sexual urge decreases and frequency of masturbation or having sex decreases. At a younger age people usually have more sex drive and their frequency of masturbation  is  maximum. You can indulge in this activity as long as it is pleasurable and you have the drive for it. It shouldn’t cause any pain or discomfort. Semen quantity usually will be low if you do repeatedly  without an interval and without any sex drive . This might result in the trauma to the tissue due to friction and blood in the semen.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.