Urology Community
Penis not reaching full erection due to physical problem?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I'm a 23 year old male and I've always found my penis to be weird...I just knew from an early age. My erection length is normal, about 6.5 inches, and the girth is a bit thin- 4.1 around.

But I notice then even at my most excited, my penis points down and doesn't go "up" all the way. Not only does it curve downward, it sort of seems "lazy" as well, as it doesn't point straight out but just sort of hangs...

It's firm, but not rock hard, even right before orgasm. The head gets big and the part of the shaft just under that gets plenty firm, but I notice that even at full erection i can FOLD my penis in the middle of the shaft..as if I was only partly erect.

Now, let me just say I don't think it's Peyrone's disease or anything because it doesn't get rock hard, like I said, and it isn't painful- I can even straighten out my erection without pain to make it look straight. And the deviation, from what I've seen, is nowhere near the same...like I said, it's curved but it also sort of hangs low at the base, almost like a long and firm flaccid penis.

But this made me think the other day- perhaps there's something physically wrong with my penis? I have no problem getting an erection, but could it be that something inside is physically preventing the blood from completely filling the chambers to maximum firmness? Could this account for the "hanging," the thinness and the extreme flexibility of my erection?

I have orgasms just fine but I'm worried that I may not be reaching my potential for my partners...or even my own sexual feeling and pleasure. Has anyone ever heard of a penis physically not being able to fill with blood do to some kind of blockage or complication within the chambers???

I know I should see a urologist but I don't even know how to approach it...do I just tell him my erection is strange? Do you have to masturbate in bathroom of the doctor's office or does he gives you something to make you get an erection? I really don't know how it works....and sadly I have no insurance right now.

So until then, I figured I'd try to ask the experts on here...I've NEVER heard or seen a penis that's flexible at full erection...or one that sort of hangs like mine.
Ok your 23 so I wouldnt think you have a blood flow problem. Do you smoke or use drugs? If you do these will put a heavy damper on everything.
No, the only thing I do is drink coffee once a day. No drugs (ever), very very very rarely drink (maybe once a year).

Thinking there could be some deformity constricting blood flow? Maybe had it since birth?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

From the symptoms it looks like erectile dysfunction. Common causes causing erection problem are stress and anxiety,poor communication with your partner, unrealistic sexual expectations, which make sex a task rather than a pleasure,negative feelings about non performance,smoking, alcohol and sometimes illicit drugs and medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord injury, nerve damage (for example, from prostate surgery), or neurologic disorders (such as multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease).

Medications such as blood pressure medications (especially beta-blockers), heart medications (such as digoxin), some peptic ulcer medications, sleeping pills, and antidepressants may also cause erectile dysfunction.
Talk to your partner openly about any fears or apprehensions, eat nutritious healthy food,exercise regularly and cut down on smoking or alcohol if you are taking it.
If still a problem then please get yourself evaluated for the medical conditions mentioned above.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I was diagnosed with ED in 2003 but had it prior to this date. I was being evaluated for possible physio or other any other rehabilitation program. One of the things in this was sexual health.
I told them that I habe haviing problems since about 1996. In 1994 I had a resection of the bladderneck  and prostate and was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder in 1996.
When I consulted with a urologist for ED he first asked me a bit of history leading up to my problems with ED. After that he suggested injecting the penis with California Tri-mix to determine if the problem was physical or psychological. I had also told hime that medications like Viagra and Cialis did not work at all for me.
I was told to get up on the examination table with my pants and shorts removed. He than used a butterfly needle to inject my penis with the caverject drug. After about 10 minutes my penis started to get erect and after 20 minutes the penis was firm enough for penetration. Everything was done in a reldxed and professional manner. That same day I was given a prescription for California Tri-mix double strength.

A few days lter I was thaught how to inject the drug into the penis by a nurse. Again everything was in a relaxed and professional manner.
I hope that this information will put your mind at ease and that it wil help you in your consultation with a urologist.

All the best.

Ron