Urology Expert Forum
Penis pain comes and goes

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Penis pain comes and goes
I will try to make this brief. 32 year old male. No STI's or STD's or UTI. Put on Cipro regardless of that. The tip of my penis (opening to be more exact) sometimes itches and burns and I feel a frequent need to urinate. It is usually productive when I do urinate. This pain is not necessarily before or after urination. But this comes and goes. For instance, I was fine all day and really feeling pretty good and then in the evening, out of nowhere, it started. A burning itching sensation at the opening of the penis and an urge to urinate. While experiencing this the time of day does not seem to matter. I do not have blood in the urine or semen, no discharge, no fever and only a slight pain in the tactical which may be mental. Nothing seems swollen or otherwise acutely painful. I have an appointment with a urologist but that is weeks away. My GP already said there is nothing more he can do. No digital rectal exam performed because at 32 he said I was too young for prostates or prostate related problems in general. Not saying I wanted one, but I guess that would have ruled out a prostate infection. I guess I did not exhibit signs of a prostatis, cancer or other prostate problems.

What could this be? There are lot of valves and pumps (for lack of better terms) in that area. Could something be experiencing a spasm manifesting itself in this sensation? Maybe it is an infection not detected in the UTI, Chlamydia or gonorrhea tests and I need to give the Cipro more time. Only been taking Cipro for a week. Help!
If infection has been totally ruled out, you may want to consider some of the non-infectious causes of burning.  This would include anatomical causes such as urethral strictures or polyps.  A cystoscopy would be a reasonable test to evaluate for this.

Any change in urinary frequency warrants at least a digital rectal exam to ensure the prostate isn't enlarged.  I would encourage this test to evaluate for this possibility.  

If the tests are negative, you may want to inquire about a dermatology referral to evaluate for inflammation of the skin around the penile area or a fungal infection.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
duuuude im going through the same thing! i feel fine all day, and then around...7-7:30 the burning sensation comes back.  im incredibly confused about it
A related discussion, Sensitve to touch amout 1 cm long 2-3mm wide resistance under the penial skin just parallel to the superficial vein of the penis was started.
A related discussion, penis pain was started.