Urology Community
Persistent UTI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Persistent UTI

I have been suffering with a persistent UTI since October. I had a uretha dialation in Jan and the problem seemed to go away for a few weeks but is now back again. I am taking antibiotic Cefalexin which makes all the symptoms go away so is clearly effective on some kind of infection.

My UTI seems to be triggered by alcohol - even small amounts. What is it about alcohol that makes this happen. When I am on the cefalexin I can drink alcohol with no problem. As soon as I come off it I get very uncomfortable.

I am concerned that this is not caused by a UTI but is something to do with the way my body is processing the by products from my liver. I had breast cancer in 2005 ,aged 39 and whilst I had a low grade cancer with no lymph node involvement this is always in the back of my mind.

Its also painful to have sex - burning sensation and I don't know if this is related to the UTI or whether I should see a Gynacologist.    

All in all no sex and no alcohol - you can imagine its getting me down !  

For infections related to sexual activity, your doctor may recommend taking a single dose of antibiotic after sexual intercourse. I think you are correct in thinking that the UTI symptoms have returned. This brings us to the fact that either the therapy needs revision or there is some other cause of the symptoms which is causing recurrent disorders.

The first step is to get a urine culture and sensitivity test to find out the organisms which may be causing the infection. This may lead us to one or more causes of the disorder and thereafter, treat it with a targeted antimicrobial.

The doctor also needs to confirm by examination and tests whether the infection is in the urinary tract passage as there is a possibility of cross infection due to the anatomic arrangement.

As an at-home treatment, increased water-intake, frequent voiding, the avoidance of sugars and sugary foods, drinking unsweetened cranberry juice, taking cranberry supplements, as well as taking vitamin C with the last meal of the day can shorten the time duration of the infection. Avoid coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks containing
citrus juices and caffeine until your infection has cleared.

Please let me know if you may have any other queries.

Regards.