Urology Community
Persistent Varicocele Post Surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Persistent Varicocele Post Surgery?

Hello I recently had a varicocele surgery (Microscopic, Inguinal) on 4/13/2013.  The surgery was done to preempt any infertility issues due to bad counts.

After the surgery, the veins are larger than they have ever been before.   I am concerned that the surgery did not fully shut off the problem veins because the doctor only ligated one vein because he said he did not see any others.

During the standing position the varicocele veins are swollen and clearly full of blood that is not making its way back to the heart.  I understand that this is expected post surgery as the blood will take time to find other non problem veins to flow through, assuming the path has been fully shut off.

However, after laying down for a few moment, the swollen varicocele veins reduce in size by about 90%.  Does this mean that flow path was not fully cut off?

Could you lend me your thoughts on what can be done to rectify the situation?  Embolization or other technique?

Also, could erectile dis-function be a sideffect?  My testis were examined today and are said to be OK.  I am unable to masturbate as easily as before and I do not get the same number of morning erections which has been concerning me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Most patients recover fairly quickly after varicocoele surgery. Pain and other symptoms improve the first week but the swelling from the surgery may take weeks to get better.Complications may include atrophic testis, blood clot formation, infection and injury to the scrotum or nearby blood vessel.  If the swelling persists, it is best that you have this evaluated further by your doctor. Embolization is an alternative to surgery but  it is recommended that you have this checked first. Take care and do keep us posted.