Urology Expert Forum
Peyronies Disease?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Peyronies Disease?

My penis has developed a lumpy mass around my urethra about an inch from the end.  It started in June of 2006 as a smaller lump, but has gotten progressively larger.  Now, it is uncomfortable and slightly painful during an erection.  It seems like I have a little trouble evacuating the last bit of urine when I pee sometimes, and when I ejaculate it seems like the semen just sort of dribbles out.  The lump is distributed equally around the urethra in three seperate arched lumps, as if the base of each arc is attached to the urethra in line with the length.  I recently visited a urologist who diagnosed my condition as Peyronies disease.  However, I'm not so sure.  The descriptions of this disease seem to be more focused on lumps "under the skin" or that cause penis arcing or bending.  Mine does not seem to bend or arc.  The physician performed a physical examination - but no ultrasound or urine test. I'm concerned because he doesn't want to see me again for 2 years, but some web sites seem to indicate that there may be some things I could do now to prevent or limit additional damage - should this turn out to be Peyronies disease.  I've asked for a second opinion, but I wondered if there were some things that I should be aware of prior to the second visit - so I can ask the right questions - and be justified to ask for confirmation of the diagnosis via additional testing.
I would consider another opinion to ensure it isn't anything more serious.  Peyronie's disease does typically manifest as penile curvature.  Other possible causes would be a penile mass or cancer, or a thrombosed penile vein.  An ultrasound would be a reasonable test to exclude the more dangerous possibility.  

Typically Peyronie's disease or a thrombosed vein is treated conservatively, however if the symptoms continue or worsen, more invasive options can be discussed.

You may want to inquire about another urology opinion to confirm the diagnosis..

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_