Urology Community
Please help... uti symptoms -negative urine test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Alright- ive been having UTI symptoms. Burning after peeing, urge to pee and I went to the doctors and they did a urine test but it came out negative. They checked me for STD's and then did urine culture and still negative for UTI. They did this again 2 more times and still a negative.  What could it be? I take AZO to help with the symptoms but after Im done taking them symptoms come back. I dont want to be dependant on this med. Anywho my doctor *****-all she has done is test my urine over and over and is not helpful at all. I cant see any other doctor but her because she is my assigned doctor at Kaiser.

The thing is I had these exact same symptoms 5 years ago. They tested me repeadidly for UTI by taking urine samples and it all came back negative but they would give me antibiotics for UTI and it would go away.

Do i have flank pain? Little, it comes and go not all the time.  I do drink TONS of water but this hasnt gone away-its been 2 months. I barely got an appt with my doc this coming tuesday.

Any suggestions on what this could be?
Welcome to the forum!
Unidentifiable bacteria means the normal culture set by most labs cannot grow it. This needs special cultures which all labs may not be able to set up. Once the organism is identified then a sensitivity test is set up. This will give the antibiotic that the organism is sensitive to. Consult an urologist if possible regarding this and get the test repeated at a standard lab giving them the background. Organism like Chlamydia and Mycoplasma need special cultures and also are a part of the STD panel (done in your case—were these two covered?). The other possibility is tuberculosis. This can give similar symptoms on and off.
Allergy to food items excreted via urine is another possibility. Rule out diabetes too.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Oh my goodness, it's almost relieving to read that I'm not alone!  I have had isues with chronic UTI's over the last several years but most often the lab results come back negative.  I am always put on antibiotics and it seems to clear it up whatever it is.  But a few months later it happens all over again.  I am only 28 and otherwise completely healthy.  It's terribly frustrating and I feel like I just don't get any answers.  I was really beginning to feel like a nut and almost started convincing myself it was in my head!  Please update here if you find any additional information.  I go in next week for another follow up urine catch with my dr. and will get a referral to a urologist.  Here's to hoping for some answers
Chronic Cystitis have low level bacteria that do no always show up on UA or standard cultures.  There are also some organisms that are more difficult to culture to culture out, require special testing etc, also.  The cultures we used today were developed 100 years ago to find and treat acute not chronic infections.  These are also based on colony count which again is for acute not low level chronic infections.

It is possible that you also have Interstitial Cystitis.  The symptoms of chronic cystitis and IC are almost identical.  The difference being that long term antibiotic treatment can control or if not cure the symptoms of a chronic infection but IC is incurable at this point.  Determining which you have requires a urologist that treats chronic uti's and IC>

There are however many coping tools to help with symptoms of IC and researchers are
finding more and more treatments to help.  How ever either way right now you have an irritated bladder and many of the self help things we use to treat IC can help you to feel better in the diagnosis process.  You can pm me for some direct links to help you!

I am an IC support group leader for MO and ARK, our group is called MOARK IC.
Our website has many articles that you may find helpful!

Just this week I have started an IC  and pelvic pain support forum here on Med-help
too.  We are brand new so new info we be added as we grow etc. but I encourage you to join us also.  

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Interstitial-Cystitis-IC--Pelvic-Pain-Support-Forum/show/412

I hope that each of are able to find help and relief.  

Shelly
I have just gone through the exact same thing. You are not alone. SS of UTI for 3 weeks , Urine C & S negative but I KNOW MY BODY. There is something wrong. Got a RX for Cipro 500 BID x 7 days. Hope it helps.