Urology Community
Possible dangers of stone in ureter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Possible dangers of stone in ureter

I have a ~5MM stome that is stuck at the very edge of the bladder. Urine is getting around it just fine and there is no pain. I had 2 questions:
1. What are the dangers of leaving the stone where it is? At this point it has been there for at least 3 months and I have no swelling of the kidney.
2. Is there any harm is stones staying in the bladder? I have 3 stones that are just sitting there.

Thank You.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Most bladder stones are expelled or can be removed without  damage to the bladder.  However, they may come back if the cause is not corrected. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper management. Drinking plenty of water may help. It increases urinary output that may help the stones pass. Your doctor may also help remove stones that do not pass on their own using a cystoscope or a small tube that passes through the urethra to the bladder. If the stones are left untreated, they may cause repeated urinary tract infections or permanent damage to the bladder or kidneys. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your comment. I am fine. I believe I will take a "wait and see" attitude. I have no pain of any kind. I am not sure whether the cure of removing the stone, is worse than an asymptomatic stone stuck in the ureter.
I am concerned about possible instrument infection and the operation itself. The possible danger seem to outweigh the possible benefits. That may change at some point, but as of now, it seems best to wait.
Thank you.
A 1 cm stone remained stuck in my ureter and then in lower part of bladder for about 4 months causing a lot of burning and irritation.you can see its picture in my profile.I finally passed it out.It's better to use a lot of water and if possible lemon juice.I hope it comes out soon.