Urology Expert Forum
Post Operative Lithotripsy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post Operative Lithotripsy

I've had three lithotripsies the past 2 years on the same stone. Following the first two procedures, I developed a burning pain down the outside of my left leg (on the same side the procedure was performed). After 2 months the pain went away.  After the third try on the stone, two days following, I developed symptoms which include lower back pain, burning sensations in my hip, hamstrings, and ankle...all on my left side. They seem to mimic sciatic problems. Does lithotripsy irritate nerves in the region of the lower back? Hopefully, these symptoms will disappear in a short time. Do you have any suggestions what to do or should I just maintain my normal level of activity?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Hematuria is the most common complication of lithotripsy.  It may be possible, however uncommon, that lower back pain can also result.  The symptoms you describe may be consistent with sciatica.  You may want to consider further imaging tests (i.e. lumbar MRI) to evaluate any nerve compression.  Typically (approximately 75-80%) the symptoms of sciatica resolve on their own or with conservative therapy.

I would be evaluated by a physician to ensure there isn't any other cause of the sciatica (i.e. a herniated disk).  Physical therapy, anti-inflammatories, and/or further imaging would be the options to consider.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers