Urology Expert Forum
Post-TURP incontinence

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Post-TURP incontinence

I went through a laser TURP on 12/15.  Today they removed the catheter and after urinating twice in the hospital, I have had no urge to go since.  I have however, been freely leaking constantly for about 5 hours.  I have leaked volumes of urine.  My question is:
Is this leaking normal?
What is the usual recovery period if any?
Is there anything you can recommend I do to relieve some of the symptoms?
What are the chances this is going to be a permanent problem?
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Incontinence is a known side effect of the TURP - occurring in about 2 percent of patients.  Most cases will resolve over weeks - but can vary depending on the patient.  

You may want to ensure there is no other cause of the incontinence - for instance, you can obtain a urinalysis to ensure infection isn't present.

There is a possibility this may not resolve - but cannot comment on the exact number without evaluation.

I would discuss this with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, incontinence was started.