Post-TURP incontinence
I went through a laser TURP on 12/15.  Today they removed the catheter and after urinating twice in the hospital, I have had no urge to go since.  I have however, been freely leaking constantly for about 5 hours.  I have leaked volumes of urine.  My question is:
Is this leaking normal?
What is the usual recovery period if any?
Is there anything you can recommend I do to relieve some of the symptoms?
What are the chances this is going to be a permanent problem?
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Incontinence is a known side effect of the TURP - occurring in about 2 percent of patients.  Most cases will resolve over weeks - but can vary depending on the patient.  

You may want to ensure there is no other cause of the incontinence - for instance, you can obtain a urinalysis to ensure infection isn't present.

There is a possibility this may not resolve - but cannot comment on the exact number without evaluation.

I would discuss this with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, incontinence was started.