Urology Expert Forum
Post UTI inflammation or IC?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post UTI inflammation or IC?

Earlier this year I had two UTIs within a month (e coli infections).  Urine tests have been clear of bacteria since 10th March, although microscopic blood has been found.  For the first month after the infection I had increased frequency, burning in the bladder and electrical nerve sensations (like a cattle prod) up my urethra and around my bladder.  Burning increased after sex, and walking was difficult as the bladder was very tender.  Most of these symptoms have gone but for the last month I have had an 'itching' sensation and feeling of coldness in the bladder.  I have no pain at any time.  I have slightly increased frequency but this is simply because the itching is less when my bladder is empty - I can go for 3 hours without urinating if my mind is sufficiently distracted.  My urine samples remain clear other than the slight red cell count.  Ultrasound and urodynamics are normal.  I am reluctant to have a cystoscopy as I am worried it might cause another infection.  One of my doctors says this is just post UTI inflammation and will 'probably' go away on its own, but this may take several months.  Another says it is probably IC (or painful bladder syndrome as they seem to call it in the UK).  None of the sites on IC seem to mention itching or feeling chilled in the bladder.  I have no other problems, diet seems to have no impact.  Symptoms are less in the morning, gradually worsening through the day.  I have taken several courses of Diflucan in case it is thrush, to no effect.

Are these symptoms indicative of post UTI inflammation or IC?  Is there really a difference (IC seems to be a term covering a wide range of things).  Is the problem likely to clear up on its own or should I have the cystoscopy?  How long should I wait to see if I recover on my own before undergoing this?  How likely is it that a cystoscopy will exacerbate the symptoms?