Urology Community
Post Varicocele Repair Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Post Varicocele Repair Pain

About 5 months ago I had a subinguinal varicocele ligation surgery performed on me to get rid of my left sided varicocele. I had not been in pain before the surgery the only issue was constant discomfort. Surgery went well and 4 days after the surgery I got an erection and maintained it for about 20 minutes. This gave me discomfort in my scrotum. Later that night I thought it would relieve the discomfort to masterbate, therefore I did so. After ejaculation it became sore and painful down in my scrotum. Now like I said I didn't have pain before my surgery so this concerned me. The pain and soreness slowly went away but not completely. I then ejaculated several days later. I had to go to the urgent care later that day because my scrotum had swollen up and it hurt to walk. I was prescribed more pain medication and diclofenac for inflammation. I went back to my urologist a month later and he suggested just taking ibuprofen and it should go away eventually and that it is too early to consider it a varicocele reoccurance. I took his advice, but still everytime I masterbated something in my scrotum would begin hurting a few minutes after and stay until I slept and woke up the next morning. I stopped masterbating (masturbating) for two weeks and the pain wasn't as bad but it got to a point where it wouldn't feel any better. I visited my urologist again and he recommended a varicocele embolization by a radiological interventionalist. I had that operation performed and there was literally no change in the pain or soreness I had been feeling. I recently went back to my urologist and explained everything to him and he said we might be looking at an unrelated issue. So I mentioned I had epididymitis before. My epididymitis never hurt me and was actually detected in an unrelated urine test (about a year before). He said he doubts its an infection but put me on a 21 day run of doxycycline 100mg just in case. He also wanted me to have another ultrasound done 2 weeks from the day I was in. I'm about 1 and 1/2 weeks since I started antibiotics and I don't think its making a difference and I also stopped masterbating (masturbating) even before the last appointment. But I still feel the pain and soreness. My testicle is very tender and painful to the touch in one area of it which seems to be the epididymis. This is 5 months after surgery and I feel like I'm getting nowhere! This problem is ruining my life and causing me to be depressed all the time because I can always feel it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: Varicocele, Varicocele Repair, Pain, soreness, swollen, surgery, post, varicocele ligation