Urology Expert Forum
Post Vasectomy Lump

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Post Vasectomy Lump

I am fairly young, 27 to be exact, and my wife and I decided that we do not want kids so I went to have a vasectomy done about 4 months ago. That's not the problem.
About 2 months back I was suffering minor pain in my scrotum to the point that I had to start wearing briefs again, which really only dulls the pain. Most of the time I ignore it.

A few days ago I noticed a very small but mildly painful lump on the left side of my left testicle...when I examine it, pain shoots around the area and up to my stomach, not terribly bad, but I can feel it. The lump does seem to be attached to the testicle not floating or near any tubes...I could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure that's what it feels like. The scrotal pain seems to get worse when I examine the lump as well.

Before jumping to the conclusion of testicular cancer (which as I've read is usually a "painless lump")...has anyone heard of this happening to any other post vasectomy patients? What could it be? I'm pretty sure I have a sperm granuloma on the left vas deferens as I can feel something slightly bulbous near the end of the tube. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Lastly, I don't have any history of cancer in my family, we have a history of heart disease...not cancer. I am going to my doctor next week to have it checked out but need kind of a clear mind so that I can tell my wife and give her some alternative possibilities of what it could be other than cancer...I don't want her to freak out. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Scar tissue, a cyst, hydrocele/varicocele, or infection are other possibilities.  

The most reasonable initial test would be a scrotal ultrasound.  This can rule out cancer as a cause as well as evaluate for some of the other possibilities mentioned above.  

I would also obtain a urine sample to send for analysis.

These options can be discussed with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
A related discussion, post vasectomy vas deferens lump was started.
A related discussion, Lump on Testicle was started.