Urology Expert Forum
Post-Vasectomy Swelling

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Post-Vasectomy Swelling

I am 34 yrs-old and in above average health.I had a vasectomy 11 days ago and I'm still experiencing swelling in my scrotum. I followed all the doctors orders (ice, change bandages, stay off my feet). After one week and no relief in the swelling I returned to the doctor and he said it was infected because of a small amount of yellowish discharge around the incisions. He then presribed antibotics, hot baths and compresses. I have been following his directions to the tee for 4 days with no relief in the swelling (about the size of a medium-sized peach). After having done much research in the internet, I must admit I'm really scared. I've been reading about short and long term complications that no one warned me about, guys that haven't returned to normal after 1-2 years and longer. Working is stressful and sex is out of the question. Am I overreacting and not giving this enough time or do I have a real problem here. Please be brutally honest with your answers?

Thanks so much in advance,

Rick
Infection, fluid collection or scar tissue can all be considered.  However at 11 days post-op it would likely be too soon for scar tissue to form.  

Antibiotics are an appropriate treatment if infection is suspected.  An ultrasound of the scrotum can be considered to evaluate for abscess or a fluid collection.  If present, it may need to be drained.

These options can be discussed with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_