Urology Expert Forum
Post partial Nephrectomy scar tissue
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post partial Nephrectomy scar tissue

I am a 40 year old female with a history of kidney stones.  7 years ago I went through an ordeal (HMO refused to treat for second round of stones)  Anyway...to make a long story short.

7 years ago I had 2 lithotripsies, 1 lap and ended with a partial nephrectomy to rid myself of stones.  I also have a history of a uretrhal diverticulum removal and a hysterectomy.  I have been pain free in the kidney area for years but 2 months ago my left flank started hurting again.  I went in and was scheduled for an IVP and had urinalysis also.  Both were negative.  Was sent off with pain meds and to call if it did not go away.  Well, after about a week it left...and now is back again.  Had to call and refill pain meds.  It is VERY painful and "feels" like kidney pain.  Was wondering if scar tissue could cause this and if so what do they do to treat it if anything?  I have been unable to find any info on this subject anywhere.

Thank you,
Mindy
Related Discussions
==========================================================================

Dear Mindy,
When IVP and urinalysis are negative, it usually implies that no acute process is present,requiring an emergent intervention..
As a rule some post surgical discomfort is acceptable, but this usually goes away  or lessens overtime. The pain you are describing may be a new pain altogether. I presume that your surgery was on the left side, where you are feeling the pain. The question is whether the cause of your stone formation has been addressed or not. There are many reasons for people to form stones. You may be having new stones forming again, which are too small to see on an IVP, and without causing any urinalysis abnormality. Another possible cause is what is known as ureteropelvic junction(UPJ) obstruction. This could be due to a narrowing or an abnormal anatomic connection between the kidney and ureter. Overtime this could lead to the formation of stones in the kidney, as well as possible infections,etc. It also could lead to symptoms of kidney pain and colic. This at times may not be apparent on an IVP, unless it is performed at the time when the symptoms are present. You may have to arrange a plan with your urologist.
The alternative is to perform a retrograde study(injecting X-ray dye into the ureter from below through a scope and catheter inserted in the bladder) in the operating room. This might help clarify if anything is present that is causing your pain.

This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568).

Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. BE
* Keyword:renal colic
1 Comment
Blank
Blank
1442423_tn?1284205675
A related discussion, Scar Tissue Causing Serious Pain? was started.
Blank
A related discussion, reocurance or scar tissue was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker