Urology Community
Problem with urinating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Problem with urinating

Hi, I'm 30 now, and for the past 10 years nearly, I have had a problem with urination. Basically when I have finished and I've tried to "squeeze" every last drop out, I put my pants back on and go back to whatever I was doing, and within the next 5-10 minutes or so, a bit more urine will come out. I heard that it's common but I'm not sure, and I wonder if with me it is too much. I would say the quantity is about a tea spoon to table spoon. It is enough that if it happens in the morning when I'm in work or something, I can smell it by the afternoon. This happens every single time I urinate by the way, not just occasionally.

It's incredibly embarrassing and it's annoying too because I have to do annoying things to help it. Like sit on the toilet for 10 minutes and press all my "pipes" to make sure it doesn't happen. Or I have to have a shower a couple of times a day if I'm going out etc..

I have had a few STD tests over the years, and they always come back clear, but I have never asked them to test anything specific. They were just general tests for the most common diseases I think.

Any help or advice anyone can suggest would be much appreciated. I would hate to have to see my doctor and have him feel around my privates.. my god. I have examined myself by the way and it looks no different than it ever did.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Are there other signs or symptoms? Urge incontinence is leakage of urine due to bladder muscles that contract inappropriately.  This may result from neurological injuries, neurological diseases, infection, bladder cancer, bladder stones, bladder inflammation, or bladder outlet obstruction. The majority of cases of urge incontinence are idiopathic, which means a specific cause cannot be identified.The choice of a specific treatment will depend on the severity of the symptoms and the extent that the symptoms interfere with lifestyle. There are three main approaches to treatment: medication, retraining, and surgery. You can read more about this through this link:
http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/urge-incontinence

I do understand how you feel about your check-up but it a clinical assessment and proper evaluation by your doctor is needed to treat the cause. Take care and keep us posted.
Thank you so much. I don't seem to have any other symptoms thankfully. I never have any other kinds of problems with it. It's just when I urinate, I continue until I have finished. And then about 5-10 minutes later another few drops will come out. It's not a huge problem but it's something I have put up with for a long time, and I wonder if it happens to other people or if maybe it's a sign of something wrong.

Usually I just spend 5-10 minutes each time I urinate, and usually I can avoid the problem if I do that. But most men seem to only spend 1 minute urinating so it's not ideal spending a long time sometimes - like if someone is waiting for me.

As for seeing a doctor about it, I will have to try and build up some confidence to do that. I know they deal with things like that all the time though, so I'm sure I could do it when I'm ready.