Urology Expert Forum
Problems after a Varicocelectomy

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Problems after a Varicocelectomy

On March 13th I had a varicocelectomy for a grade 3 varicocele on the left side of my scrotum. The surgery was not done micro-surgically. My urologist has told me that it went very well. He said “it could not have gone any better” and has stressed to me that he is not only confident he got it all, but expressed he would be shocked if there was a recurrence. His confidence had me feeling pretty good.
However roughly 5 days after the surgery, the numbness and dull ache returned to my testicle. It’s always a bit worse when sitting for a while, and I have noticed that it seems to correspond with a twinge in my calf (ultrasound of leg revealed no clot). Then yesterday, I noticed I had a real soreness in the area of my lower abdomen and pelvis. The pain is only there if pressure is applied to that area. It starts at my incision and travels up stopping just below my curve of my belly. The area of pain is very thin if I move just slightly to the left or right and apply pressure, there is no discomfort. The affected area is really only the width and length of an index finger. The pain is only present if the area is moderately pressured
My question I guess is what could be causing this pain? Is the scar tissue of my incision pressing on nerves or the muscle? Did I strain the muscle in an already tender area? Is my spermatic artery in that area and should I be worried that it was damaged (My doctor seems to think this could not be the case) Also to be perfectly candid, before this discomfort returned I had a nocturnal emission and when that was not painful I masturbated. This was 5-6 days following my surgery could this have harmed me? And finally for the return of the dull ache, is this pretty standard or could it actually recur that quickly. I have been told it takes time for the veins to collapse and return to size.
You are expecting a lot this soon after surgery. All of your discomforts may well be do to the surgery and the pulling/stretching that you do as your body starts to heal. Give it time (a few months). You need to know that operating on varicoceles for pain does not releive it a hundred percent of the time.
No, I setiously doubt that you did permanent damage to yourself by masturbating this soon after surgery.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition
I have a similar history as gwilly51, I had the operation 10 days ago and on 5th day post-op I began experiencing pain deep and at the sight of surgery as well as pain in the left testicle. I now feel the large veins around my left testicle even bigger than they were before the surgery and painful to squeeze. it's now uncomfortable to wear my underwear and I have to move slowly on sitting down and keep any movement while seated to a minimum. it's a relief to know that these symptoms are normal.
A related discussion, erection post varicocelectomy was started.
A related discussion, pain after varicocelectomy was started.