Urology Community
Prostate and Testicle Pain - Antibiotics failed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Hi,  maybe someone or a doctor can give me some answers on what has been bothering me for the last 5 months chronically. I have been to 3 family doctors and 2 Urologists and have still not got to the bottom of what is ailing me.

Let me just start by saying I am a 33 year old married male with no history of health problems.

Today the date is October 17/2008.
At the end of May I started having pain in my left testicle.

Over the next 2 months I was seen by 3 more doctors with similar issues and diagnosed with epididymitis and prescribed various doses of Cipro(10 days), Apo-Cephalexin (3 weeks) and Apo-oflox(1 week).
Then the pain spread to my left testicle and eventually I started feeling a lot of pressure on my prostate. I had an ultrasound of the testicles that showed apparently no problems.
I saw two Urologists, the first thought it could be a varicocele then changed his mind and thought it was prostatitis. My prostate was 'boggy' and very sore when digitally examined. There were no other side effects other than the pain, pressure and sore testicles in the spermatic cord/epididymis area.
I was prescribed 6 weeks of vibra-tabs(doxycycline hyclate)
At the end of 6 weeks the symptoms had not changed. One urologist has scheduled me for a cystascope to see if there is a narrow urethra causing it and the other urologist has scheduled me for a bladder ultrasound, transrectal and prostate at the same time. They both seem to be approaching it differently but believe it is prostatitis.
Unfortunately our medical system is so busy that it may be several weeks to two months for these tests. I am desperately trying to get the moved up.

I feel like I need to urinate badly sometimes, it is very uncomfortable to sit, the prostate feels sore and I get pain sensations down my legs. My testicles also feel sore up to the base of my penis. After ejaculation/sex sometimes the spermatic cord can feel sore for a day.
I have tried all sorts of things such as Saw Palemetto, pumpkin seed oil, flax seed oil and a few pollen type pills that say they help non bacterial prostatitis.

Does anyone have any insight that may help me as I am at a total loss and the pain is putting such a stress on my life and marriage.

Thank you so much
I seem to have a very similar issues.  my issue started with my right testicle feeling sore and then i started having to pee all the time and prostate pain and groin pressure.  it seems to come for a week and then settle down a bit for a week.  I am waiting to see a urologist but have had an ultrasound done.  Turns out i have a cyst in my right testicle right around where the pressure and pain is.  

My self diagnosis is the cst keeps breaking and releasing bacteria into my system and causing all these other issues.  All my urine tests and prostate exam seem to come back normal as well.  This is why i think it is the cyst.

perhaps you should see if you have a cyst?  doctors usually say they are harmless but some are not.

i hope this helps you
brad

Well they did say they saw a small water filled cyst or something in the ultrasound but it was 'nothing unusual'  I forget the technical name for it they used.   On my urologists recomendation I started taking this relexin pill which is bee pollen and some other stuff along with saw palmetto and flax seed oil, etc etc.  ( At this point I will try anything )
Also I was prescribed a once a day anti inflammatory which I have been taking.   So far over the last week I am noticing a lot less pain then at any time over the last 6 months.  I am quite happy for this and bought more pollen.  I have no idea what exactly is working, or if its all hocus pocus, or maybe the inflammitories are working.  They will be finished soon and I'll see if it comes back.   My testicles are still a little sore but much much better than they have been.

I have read about chronic prostatits due to bacteria always being present and in some cases I understand doctors put patience on a long indefinate dose of antibiotics.  

Good luck, I know it *****

Dave
If you're still checking this board, will you give an update please?
Look up enterococcus fecalis. It's not common that it can infect the prostate but if it does it can cause similar symptoms. They should test for it.
I am 46 and I have almost the exact same symptoms as you that have been going on for almost 9 months now. Been to 2 GP's , my Urologist 4 times and a Proctologist.I was haveing pain in my left testicle for about a month , went to my GP and he checked me out but couldnt find anything. He did a digital rectal to check my prostate and said it seemed normal, 2 weeks later and still no improvement so I went to my Urologist and he pretty much blew me off, listened to my symptoms and checked my testicles and said everything seemed fine, he didnt even do a digital because he said my GP would have noticed something. He said it was probobly reffered pain due to my vasectomy 5 years ago and said to live with it. 2 weeks later while takeing a shower I felt a BB size lump in my epeditimus and made another appt to have him check it out. He said it was a little large but nothing to worry about but this time he checked my prostate and thats when it all went down hill, less than 2 hrs after leaveing his office my prostate started to burn and hasnt cleared up since. He did put me on antibiotics for 10 days just incase it might be protatitus but that didnt do anything. My main symptoms are pain in the left testicle , but not to the touch, just almost constant discomfort comeing from the left testicle, pain in my prostate and rectum area, hurts when I sit and almost feels like I am sitting on a golf ball, I have noticed the last 2 months that I am getting up 2-3 times at night to pee and also my left testicle and epeditimus on the left side throbs within 5 minutes after ejaculating. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Could it be prostatitus and the first batch of antibiotics just didnt take care of it? The last time I was at the Urologist he put me on a low dose of meds for a swollen prostate to see if that helps but over 30 days into it there are no changes. He said the next step is a cystoscopy to check for a ureathral sticture. Any help would be appreciated.

I also have similar kinds of symptoms.. But I never had a pain in testicles.. I was diagnosed with chronic bacterial prostatitis but no antibiotic has helped me till date.. Actually I can't point where exactly I feel pain.. Its more like a discomfort.. I would like to know about the cyst thing which your doctor diagnosed for you.. What test you were gone through for the same? Also mention medical terms if your doc has described you, so that I can talk to my doc that way.. Waiting for the reply.. Thanks in advance..

Vicki
That is probably what it is for me too.  It sometimes goes away for months then comes back for a few days or weeks like someone is sticking a pin into me for a few seconds or more.  The prostate doesn't feel painful or anything, its just this area in the groin
I have had unexplained testicular pain for the last 8 years even after seeing 8 different Urologists. I've had all the test, been on all the Alpha Blockers and Antibiotics and even natural remedies with no success.
The pain is anywhere from a 6 to a 10 80% of every day.

I gave up finding a cure and went to a pain specialist and have been on several pain pills and patches, shots, etc. Only high doses help and I just can't function on all this medication so I am back to trying to find a cure.

That's why I'm looking in a larger city like Dallas hoping they may have had instances similar that these small town dr.'s may not come across. (Midland & Lubbock, TX)

Is there a dr you could recommend that might go the extra mile to help me figure out what is going on? Have you had anything similar to my situation? Is this something you feel you could get to the bottom of?

Thanks for your help,
I have been see by my GP for simular synptoms... basically it feels like I am sitting on half a golf ball and I tend to go to the bathroom to urinate more times than normal.  The main reason why I choose to see the doc was after sex I was getting out of bed and happened to see a large amount of clear fluid leaking out of my penis as my leg touched the ground. Then on at least 2 other occasions I noticed this same type of fluid leak while having a BM. Doc did a dre and it felt abnormally sensitive to me. She put me on cipro for 10 days (halfway thru that now). I am concerned I should see a specialist maybe, or will I have these symptoms for the rest of my life and is it nothing to worry about (ie normal aging process)?
I understand that if it were something, the earlier the finding the better, right?
What else do I keep a close eye on?
Thanks,
sig
Hey I have been having the same problems for over 8 months... Supposedly after trying anal sex with my girlfriend i wound up with entercocccus facelis a fecal bacteria.... Ever since then it's just been impossible to treat... The initial symptoms were that of a bladder infection which hadn't been properly treated later leading to the infection of my prosate apparently... from then on after several antibiotics, urine and semen sample... i have been therotically diagnosed with bacterial prostatis due to a staphyloccous bacteria present in my semen same... Sometimes it feels like my *** is on fire and its hard to sit, other time taking a **** is a workout, in addition i have got ball pain... To you guys out there I' ve really been to the best specialists and I've got enough information to get a phd and I have to tell you that this ******* problem just aint going away.... Saw palemetto antibiotics ain't gonna do ****... We have all been improperly  diagonosed and treated and since we;re not doctors we;re pretty much ******!!!
I suffered from prostrate cancer for which I had brachytherapy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachytherapy  performed ten months ago. For five years prior to this I had a constant (24-7) ache in my lower side and a frequent pain in my testicles. The ache often moves up and down in a line between the two, which led me to believe that they were somehow connected. These remained after the treatment. My GP at the time thought it was a mild though persistent case of diverticulosis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulosis . After every kind of bone scan, MRI and ultra sound, I still had the problem.
As a bit of a curiosity I tried something called Reiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki , I am a graduate engineer and have never been a believer in any kind of alternate medicine, however to my constant surprise my ache has been gone for several months and the hurt in my testicle is now rare. The practitioner who performed the treatment slowly graduated to full hands on procedures right down to placing her finger directly on my prostate (which is against the Reiki practice code. However it was at that point that I began to catch on to how this was working. My first thoughts on Reiki are that for a large part it is mind over matter. If you are able to visualize success and make yourself believe you may well get success.  My second thought is that there may well be that some people can channel the existing electromagnetic energy in order to effect ones well being.
My third though came to me by extensive research but is my own theory (I am no kind of medical practitioner).  In making a study of how the prostate function I came across the process of ejaculation. It seems that the prostate, the seminal vassals, the vos deferens and the testacies exist in a closed system. When one ejaculates the prostate mussel contracts on one end creating a partial vacuum on one side pulling liquid from all four organs and forcing them our the other side into the penis. Sort of like milking a cow with out the benefit of downward gravity. My theory is that in men without prostate cancer this closed system exists in neutral pressure when not ejaculating. I thing with prostate cancer the prostate gland becomes out of balance and may cause reverse unnatural pressure against the other organs leading to the ache in the seminal vassals and the testicles. .I believe that somehow Reiki is restoring that original balance and that is what is solving my discomfort.
I am 19 years old and for about a month I have been having testicular pain. I went to the ER the first time for an ultrasound and a pee test both came back fine except that the ultra sound showed 3 benign cysts and a vericocele sorry spelling by my left testicle. I was prescribed doxcycline what ever its called and it didn't seem to do anything. After taking the pills however, I felt no pain for about 2 weeks then present day I am feeling what I would say worse pain then before. I am currently on cipro which to tell you the truth isn't doing jack. I have a urologist appointment tomorrow and I hope to god he/she helps me because I can't keep living in this painful state.
I'VE HAD TESTICULAR PAIN 3-4 YRS. AGO. UROLOGIST ORDERED ULTRASOUND WHICH CAME BACK NORMAL. DID RECTAL EXAM AND SAID PROSTATE WAS SLIGHTLY ENLARGED. NOW I'VE GOT ANOTHER UROLOGIST DUE TO INSURANCE CHANGE. HE SAID PROSTATE WAS SOFT UPON DIGITAL RECTAL EXAM. I'D HAD PAIN UPON THE EXAM WHEN HE FELT THE PROSTATE. I'M ALSO HAVING BACK PAIN ON THE LEFT SIDE RADIATING TO THE FRONT LEFT ABDOMEN. OCCASIONALLY IT'LL BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE BUT MOSTLY ON LEFT. THE SCROTUM IS TIGHT WITH PAIN WHEN SITTING/LYING DOWN. I'VE GOT NAUSEAUS AND VOMITING AS WELL. I'D HAD A FEVER FOR 3-4 DAYS ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. I'M HAVING URINARY FREQUENCY/URGENCY. THE URETHRAL ITCHES/HAS PAIN/BURNS WHEN URINATING. MY GENERAL PRACTIONER PUT ME ON ANTI-BIOTICS THINKING IT COULD BE EPIDIDYMITIS. THE ANTI-BIOTICS DIDN'T DO NOTHING FOR ME. I'VE GOT AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY UROLOGIST ON TUESDAY AND I PLAN TO ASK HIM TO ADDRESS THESE ISSUES. TONIGHT I'D HAD NOTICED PAIN/TIGHTNESS IN MY UPPER LEFT THIGH MIGHT NOT BE OR MIGHT BE ASSOCIATED WITH THESE CONDITIONS.
I had to deal with that.   A urologist is a good idea because you don't want to have a uro problem thats not being treated.    The problem is they don't directly deal with pain so maybe check into seeing a pain doctor.   They have a variety of ways to treat pain and they know how to do it without making things worse.