Urology Expert Forum
Prostate infection and Cipro
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Prostate infection and Cipro

Re: Prostate infection and Cipro

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Urology Forum ]

Posted by HFHS M.D.-KR on January 14, 1998 at 10:50:32:

In Reply to: Prostate infection and Cipro posted by David on January 08, 1998 at 13:54:18:
  Good day,
  I am a Type II Diabetic who has acquired a prostate infection. My doctor started me on 500mg Cipro (2 times a day) last Friday, when I experienced a fever with additional symptoms (perineal pain, burning sensation while urinating--all slowly developing over a few weeks). The symptoms have certainly subsided after almost a week of the anitbiotic, but I still "feel" the infection (some burning sensations in the penis and some perineal pain, though greatly diminished).
  Generally speaking, when can I expect the infection to be completely gone? And is it true that a prostate infection is often slow to respond to antibiotics?  And lastly, if the infection does not clear up or symptoms remain in a mild state, what could be causing the antibiotic to fail?
  My doctor has me on on Cipro for two weeks, but I'm concerned that this duration may not be long enough to completely kill the infection.
  Any thoughts on this condition would be appreciated.
  Thanks in advance for your help....
  Getting paranoid,
  David
=========================================================
David, your symptoms sound very much like a condition called chronic bacterial prostatitis.  Prostatitis is a term used to describe  prostate infection. It can be acute or chronic. In addition, it may be bacterial or nonbacterial. Most patients may have symptoms  that linger for weeks although the severity usually improves early on in treatment. Therefore, you should not be discouraged that your symptoms are present after one week of treatment.  Your problem is a common one and patience is required with regard to relief of your symptoms. Prostatitis routinely requires longer treatment course than bladder infections or kidney infections.
The recommended course of treatment for chronic bacterial prostatitis is 4 weeks of  Cipro 500 mg twice per day. Prostate infections take longer to cure due to the way in which antibiotics are absorbed into the prostate. Good success with the drug you are taking (Cipro) has been documented. If  your symptoms do not improve, several possibilities exist including  infected prostate stones or non bacterial prostatitis due to an anatomic problem called bladder neck dysfunction. In bladder neck dysfunction, urine refluxes into the prostate causing persistent symptoms.  Both of these conditions can be successfully  treated. Prostate stones can be treated with surgery to remove them. Bladder neck dysfunction can be treated with medication or surgery.

This information is provided for general medical education purposes only. Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
HFHS M.D.-KR
*KEYWORD: Prostatitis