Urology Expert Forum
Prostatitis and Constipation

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Prostatitis and Constipation
Is there any realtionship with bowel changes and prostatitis?   I often feel the urge to urinate, and when I bend over or do situps, I sometimes feel pressure on my bladder (but no leakage.)  During bowel movements, also sometimes feel pressure on bladder, and lately, I have felt constipated.  There is also regular sensation of a dull pain in rectal area, sometimes spiking during a bowel movement.  (It sometimes feels like I am sitting on something.)  Constipation is getting worse.

I know I need to go back to the Dr., but I want to be better informed about what might be going on.  How can anything to do with the prostate affect bowel habits, including stool consistency?  Thank you!
There is certainly a connection between urinary changes and prostatitis.  The enlargement of the prostate during this inflammatory phase can, to a lesser degree, affect the bowels (leading the incontinence).

Dull pain in the rectal area can be associated with chronic or untreated prostatitis.  

I would recommend a referral to a urologist where a digital exam can determine to what extent the prostate is enlarged.  

If the prostate is normal, then you may want to consider a GI workup, including endoscopy (either flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy), to evaluate why there are changes and discomfort in the bowel habits.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0