Urology Expert Forum
Prostatitis Questions and Dehydration

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Prostatitis Questions and Dehydration

Hello Doctor-

Few questions.  

History:  I'm 34 and have had prostate irritation about 3 to 4 times during life.  About a year ago a urologist said I had prostatitis but the urine culture was negative and the prostate was not swollen.  He said ejaculating more could help and it would go away.  It did in a few weeks.  I had epididymitis about a month ago and I took Doxocycline.  The urine was negative but the antibiotics fixed it.  It cleared up but I started having prostate problems about 3 days off the antibiotics.  I feel like I have to pee and slight discomfort.  My father had prostate cancer at 62.  He is ok now, but that scares me a little.  He was taking Androgel for 6 to 7 years before they found it.

Questions:

1:  When I started having the problem again was after masturbation.  I drank a little too much on Saturday and Sunday morning I felt dehydrated.  I ejaculated that morning and about 20 minutes later the discomfort set in.  It lasted all Sunday.  Monday night it was bugging me so I ejaculated and the pain immediately stopped.  I waited a few days and ejaculated again and now it's irritated.  Can dehydration cause that type of pain?

2:  Can you get clogged up when ejaculating?  Like you don't get it all out and doing it again resolves it?  I have noticed this have helped in the past.  Wondering if something is too narrow and causing problems.

3:  Can over ejaculating lead to problems?  I usually go once a day but sometimes more...can this be bad?  I remember getting this feeling even in my early teens after ejaculating sometimes.  The urologist said to go more to relieve pain and also it helps protect prostate cancer.  How much is more....once a day?

4:  Can certain foods cause irritation?  Just wondering why the urine test is always negative.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what keeps causing this and how I can resolve.

Dehydration does not cause frequent urination or discomfort when urinating. I have patients who report a warm feeling when their urine is concentrated, but not specific pain. I cannot explain your pain in relation to your masturbating.

Getting "clogged up" does not occur with ejaculation.

There is no definition for too much or too few ejaculations nor are there associated problems related to pain or urinary frequency.

Alcohol and certain foods may cause irritative voiding symptoms in some patients.
In your situation, knowing that there are certain "triggers" for you as well as ways of helping yourself when you have symptoms, I would employ them knowing that there may not be scientific basis for their effects but that they do bother/help you and should be used/avoided. I do not think that there is anything physically wrong with you.
S.A.Liroff, M.D>
Also, i thought I would ask.  I read a few studies linking trichomoniasis to prostatitis and also prostate cancer.  I have been married for 4 years and have 2 kids.  Before I was married I dated plenty of people.  Should I be tested for trichomoniasis or would it be gone after 4 years of being with the same person?  Also, should I test due to the fact my dad had prostate cancer?
Don't worry about answering it now.  I already went to the doctor since it took so long and no one answered.  I have already requested a refund so thanks anyway.
Now, I'm being told they don't give refunds so can you please answer.