Urology Expert Forum
Prostatitis tests/treatment or Biopsy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Prostatitis tests/treatment or Biopsy

I am a 57 year old sexually active male in excellent health.  Drink alcohol pretty much every day, sometimes one drink or glass of wine, sometimes 3-4.  PSA history:  9/01 2.48, 7/04 3.99, 6/05 2.63, 12/06 3.2, 9/07 3.1, 12/07 3.7, referred to Urologist by PCP.  Off and on symptoms of testicular discomfort for years.  Said symptons worsened at this time with the addition of discomfort at tip of penis and less than spectacular ejaculation.  No other symptoms.   Saw Uro 1/17 DRE neg, urine neg.  Had bladder and kidney sono done, neg.  Returned to Uro 3/11, dre neg, prostate warm and boggy, recommended biopsy, took blood for total psa which was 4.7.  I stated that my symptoms appear to be prostatitis.  He did a quick massage.  Put me on Levaquin for 21 days.  Not much if any improvement of symptoms.  4/21 another 21 days of Levaquin.  5/20 psa 3.7 symptoms much less severe but still exist.  Uro insists on biopsy.  5/29 psa 3.54.  

I obviously want to avoid an invasive biopsy if possible.  I feel my Uro is pushing the biopsy, almost from day 1, and is not interested in going further with other blood, urine or prostatic fluid testing, massage therapy etc.  Uro refused to do free psa or any other kinds of testing for prostatitis.  I am inclined to go see another uro who might be more progressive in that area.  Psa is trending down.  What would you recommend I do?