Urology Community
Prostatitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Prostatitis

Hello i am 34 years old and have had a pain during an erection in february of 2008. It continued for a few days so i saw my family doctor who didnt do a culture but gave me some offloxacin for 6 weeks twice a day. after 4-5 weeks it cleared up only to return 3-4 days later. I then was given more offloxacin and it seemed to show some improvement as it was only a 3 week course this time. during this time i was waiting to see a urologist and was off antibiotics for 3-5 weeks approximately.

He then did a dre and 3 the glass test and found 8 white count.  i was then given levaquin for 2 months and not having much success after 5 weeks with this.  mostly my irritation felt like there was a knot in my lower abdomen below the belt that ached and if i lied on it was a little sorer. my testicles ache a tad and so does my back.

I had a vasectomy in july / august of 2007 and am wondering if the vasectomy could have been  a rough one and the testicles and the other aches are due the radiation of that irritation?

Note that most of my symptoms did not occur until after my dre was performed and an abdominal physical exam.
thanks
Matt
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Did you have a prostate massage test to identify organisms in the prostatic fluid?

If you feel that symptoms have increased following treatment, you will need to pursue the cause of the problem a little more persistently.

Effective antibiotic therapy is one that has been based on a culture sensitivity report, so the focus should be on having that performed.

If you have been diagnosed with prostatitis, you can ask your doctor for a prostate ultrasound. This would diagnose any signs of prostate enlargement or inflammation.

A small percentage of men do develop chronic pain following vasectomy, but the pain would usually be localized to the scrotum and surrounding areas.

Until conclusive diagnosis regarding prostatitis has been arrived at, it would be a good idea to avoid prostate irritants, such as caffeine, alcohol, citrus fruits, and spicy foods.

Increasing intake of foods containing higher content of zinc (seafood, wheatgerm, etc) can also aid healing.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards