Urology Community
Prostatitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Prostatitis

Are there any treatments other than antibiotics that are helpful with prostatitis? I have been the urologist several times for re-current symptoms, and he always prescribes Cipro, which I despise. Seems to be very recurrent and I am not able to eliminate the symptoms no matter what I do. The Cipro does help, but should I really be taking this for extended periods of time. At one point I was on it for months and believe I became immune to it. The side effects are also terrible. Tried Prosta Q supplement and it was very hard on my system so I stopped. Any suggestions. This has become very troubling and the urologist is of little help.

Antibiotic therapy is given for acute/chronic bacterial Prostatitis, but it is also used in non bacterial Prostatitis. Which type of Prostatitis do you have? The duration of antibiotic therapy depends upon the type of prostatitis; for acute it may be for few weeks, chronic is for 6-12 weeks. You can discuss with your doctor about other antibiotics such as doxycycline, sulfa drugs or ofloxacin.
You can also discuss with your doctor about non antibiotic treatment such as pain killers, alpha blockers, physical therapy etc.
Also increasing hydration (by drinking more water) and avoiding alchhol can also help.

Take care
Regards

You may try some naturist treatments, it helped a lot of people. There are several plants that you can consume as infusion. Try also NLP, in the form of positive thinking, positive sugestions/programs that you can repeat several times a day.
I have chronic prostatitis and I apply the above.