Urology Community
Protein and Ketones found in urine
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Protein and Ketones found in urine

I have had persistent UTI's since I was small. They first started when I was about six or seven years of age, and gradually became more severe. When I was fifteen I was hospitalized because a kidney infection had turned septic. Since then, I have been afraid that happening again, as a careless parent did not bother to take me back for follow-ups and cursed my doctor out for not giving me antibiotics for a virus. I am seventeen now, nearly eighteen, and several months ago I went to the doctor for back pain that eventually faded. He told me my urine was clean and there was no bacteria, which was perplexing because I knew I wasn't making up the pain. Just today I visited an urgent care clinic and a new doctor said I was also clean, but there was ketones and protein in my urine. He asked if I had eaten recently, and I agree I didn't eat much today, but he was surprisingly quiet. I don't think he was even sure.
He referred me to a urologist, and as I sit here my back is aching on my sides and up my spine. I am worried, quite honestly.
I always have tried to eat healthy since I had a bit of an excess of weight on me when I was younger. I eat a good deal of protein, if that could be a contributing factor. Eggs are a main staple. I eat plenty of grains, but apparently not enough according to the doc. I take in about 1900 calories a day which is good for my size. I have a problem with temperature regulation and don't realize when I'm overheated, therefore never feel dehydrated, but I force myself to drink at least three bottles of water a day. I'm sure this isn't enough and I need more than that.

I was thinking of investing in a jug or two of orange juice and cranberry juice, even though this doctor told me it was a myth, but the other five have recommended it.
I know that the ketones are probably from not enough carbohydrates, but the protein worries me. I don't know if it is recurring or what, but we did walk a good bit around the amusement parks here in Florida this past week. Plus I don't sit down much at work. I am a healthy person for the most part, I have a less-than-par immune system but I do exercise, though not recently.

If anyone can offer me some advice or help, it would be greatly appreciated. My fiance and mother are deeply worried and I can't reassure them if I am too afraid myself.