Urology Expert Forum
Protein in Urine... please help if you can

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I would really appreciated if someone can help me.
I recently had my yearly physical and they found protein in my urine.  the results are 2+.  Is this considered and abnormally high result?  when the doctor called me he told me that it was a trace and when i got my results in the mail it said 2+.  Is 2+ consider abnormally high?  I guess them want to do a micoalbumin test.  I called back and talked to the nurse and she told me it was just a trace of protein but everything i read online says its high :(
can someone please explain my test results?  should i be concerned?  been to every pharmacy looking for protein test strips :( cant find any.  My urine test was done at a labratory not in the doctors office.  please help if you can
Dear nike123456,

Thanks for writing in.

I do not agree with your doctors. Though the report is just a qualitative analysis ( which means it doesn’t tell us the exact amount of protein in the urine),  2 + protein in the urine is certainly high. You need to be investigated further with urine micralbumin and 24 hrs urine albumin (quantitative analysis). Both tests can be done in the laboratory.

These tests would give us a clear idea about the quantity of protein in the urine.

In addition to these tests, I also suggest that you get you fasting and post prandial glucose levels ( to be taken 2 hours post meal) and blood pressure checked if they haven't been tested yet.

Please get back to me with the results so that we can get down to narrowing the cause of the problem.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rajiv Goel
Paid $20 for the expert to answer my questions...do they ever respond?
Dr.

Thank you for your response!
my blood pressure was normal and my fasting glucose was 102 and 125 two hours after i started eating.  Liver and kidney function all normal.  Since my original post, i purchased Albustix Reagent Strips for Urinalysis, Tests for Protein.  My results in the morning when i wake up always show a "trace" of protein.  I have read that morning urine is more concentrated and could cause a "trace" reading.  I do check it around 5pm  (after drinking 3 liters of water throughout the day) and there is no protein in my urine.  i also check it about an hour after eating and its usually a "trace" or sometimes "1+"  Can protein levels fluctuate like this?  Can protein be higher after eating?  Please advise me