Urology Community
Question on cysts on right testicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Question on cysts on right testicle

I just got back from a clinic where i met a urologist. I got an ultrasound down and i have 2 cysts on my right testicle. I started to feel pain a few nights ago so this came to my attention.. I must admit the urologist at he clynic was very vague.. and so i have a few questions if any of you can answer i would REALLY  appreciate it.

Basically... one.. do they... disappear or... is this something that will be there forever?
and 2.. if this pain keeps up... Surgery is the only option correct? Is that a VERY risky procedure because of the area in which it resides?
and 3. The doctor basically told me " your just going to have to live with the pain. Just pop a tylenol if you need to"
to me thats not very ... professional advice, but yeah that is all they told me after all this.
If any of you can clearify these things for me it will definetly lift off this weight on back. Im only 20 and im honestly scared to death. Its been 2 days and im still feeling this pain.
Im actually feeling a lot of pain and discomfort right now. I took tylenol about an hour ago but still feel the pain. Im very scared.. Any advice please!
I cant believe this is happening to me...
now im readying around about surgery and stuff... I will have to remove my testicle??
Wont be able to make babies?

I think id rather be dead now...
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Cysts on the testes will need to be evaluated with an ultrasound to check their contents. This could be just to confirm they are indeed cysts.

Are the cysts on your testes or on the epididymis?
Epididymal cysts are usually harmless and are made up of fluid or sperms. These usually resolve by themselves overtime and do not need active intervention.
The intervention required for testicular cysts depend on determining what they are made of and their etiology.

If you have cysts on the scrotum, they could just be sebaceous cysts and will need lancing, which is not a complicated procedure.

Do take an Advil for the pain, if you do not have any renal conditions, and sit in a hot-water bath for 10-15 min once to twice daily.
Have an ultrasound done for the cysts.

Do post any doubts you may have and keep us updated on your progress.
Regards
Thanks for the reply. Well i had the ultrasound done, but yeah like i said the urologist from the clinic wasnt very helpful at all and seemed like she just wanted to go home... so  i dont really know EXACTLY what kind of cyst it is. SHe did mention the epididymis? so maybe its that one. Yes she said its not cancerous or anything and it should be hamless.. but the pain / discomfort is whats really bothering me. I dont want to have to live my life in pain 24/7 u know? and i dont want to always have to pop advils in every hour. I tried tylenol extra strength and still felt the pain/discomfort.
I honestly wouldnt mind the ' lumps / cysts ', but due to the pain.. im really thinking about treatment.. which i guess is surgery. Unless any of you know of any other?
I guess i would like to know more about... the risks of surgery?
will i be able to have kids?
will i have to get my testicle removed?

i dont get approved for insurance till september so there is nothing i can really do till then... but yeah i would like to just get all this 'heavy weight' off my back... just so i can know.. ill be okay. or not.

I dont know if im allowed to ask this but would any of you MD's be able to talk to me on the phone for just a few minutes? I really need to get these questions answered. I dont have insurance so its not easy for me to visit the doctors. my hospital visits the past few days has been very simple... just a check up and ultrasound and that quick visit from the urologist but its running me 5k and im only 20.. so its a lot of money.

( sory im a little out of it. Its really difficult to sleep so in the past 48 hours ive had about 2 hours of sleep. Ive been trying to sleep since 12 and it is now 530.. thats how umcomfortable this is for me :( )
Sorry another question....
I just talked to another doctor... that said..
If it appeared out of nowhere, it could be that i caused some trama and so the cyst appeared and then its possible itll go away in a few days.. .
I did cut myself shaving my 'balls' and that is actually when the cyst appeared. as far as i can tell..
True?
anyone? please?
somebody pleaseeee
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Sorry about the delay in responding to your post.

Could you please specify whether the cyst is on the scrotum (covering the skin outside the testes) or is it on the testis (within the scrotum and felt in continuity over the testes?

Scrotal cysts are usually of the sebaceous and arise out of follicles that have become blocked or infected.
If you cut yourself shaving, it is possible to have infected the scrotal skin. This could be very painful and the cysts over the scrotum will need lancing and antibiotic therapy would be prescribed.

If the cyst is on the scrotum, the cause of its origin being from cutting yourself is more unlikely.
Again, an infected cyst will rarely heal by itself without complications and needs treatment with antibiotics. However, antibiotics cannot pass through purulent matter and the pus will need to be drained surgically. This will need to be determined given the fact that you have such acute pain and discomfort that it is likely that the cyst is infected or is an abscess.

Another differential is that of an epidermoid cyst and this presents as a benign condition.

No, consultation by telephone will not be possible, but you can always post on the medhelp site.
Do post back with more details and let me know if you have tried any of the measures advised in my previous post.
Regards
Thanks for the response.
The cysts is IN my scrotom on 'top' of my right testicle.
Like i said, The urologist at the clinic was ' garbage ' and she did not even tell me exactly what kind of cyst it is... i believe a spermotocele? or something like that..
The pain is pretty bad when my scrotum is ' sagging ', but when its 'tight' then the feelings i get are just discomfort and heavyness of my balls.
Im 20 years old and Love sports and would hate to not be able to ever play again.. I still cant even walk normally.
Surgery is something i am concidering if its the only treatment for this pain / discomfort.. but i am not ready to lose a testicle / not be able to make children.
Like i said i do not have insurance, but as of now.. id rather go in debt and meet a really good professional urologist that i trust, rather then some clinic urologist who really doesnt give a 'hoot'.
If any of you know of any top urologists in NY, Would be great..
Oh, also last night.... i noticed my left sack was a lot lower then my right side.. and was pretty red... and rather then my right side hurting last night.. my left did.

Right now i just feel the heavyness and tightness on my right side. Not too much pain.

I did try advil.. doesnt get rid of the pain but i guess it helps lessen it a little bit.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The left side of the scrotum usually hangs lower than the right.

A spermatocele would appear where you described as it arises from the epididymis. Usually it is a harmless cyst and does not cause any pain or discomfort and thus it would require no intervention.

What concerns me here is that you seem to have developed a swelling with pain and apparent inflammation on the other side. Infection will need to be assessed for at the earliest and treated with antibiotics in view of the location of the infection (appears likely that the pain and discomfort and swelling could all be infection-related).

You will need to start antibiotics ASAP. This is imperative in any infection of the scrotum given the potential for complications.

You can just check with your GP for a prescription for antibiotics, if you find it difficult to schedule an appointment with the urologist.

Regards
Hey, thanks for the reply.
I went to a different urologist because i did not trust the urologist at the clinic at all.
He told me the cyst isnt really a problem at all, but the pain is from inflimation of my prostate. He might have mentioned infection as well. Ive been on antiobiotics now for 9 days, tomorrow being my last. The pain is definetly less, but its definetly still there... Does that mean the infection is still there? Is this bad? Im going to schedule an appointment with him hopefully for tomorrow.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Prostatitis is caused by infection and/or inflammation of the prostate.
Antibiotics do not penetrate very well into the prostate and hence, for any infection of the prostate, antibiotic therapy needs to be prescribed for a longer duration than for other infections.
The average treatment duration for prostatitis can extend from 2 weeks to 8 weeks or even longer. Your urologist may extend the treatment even longer if required or switch you to another antibiotic if response to treatment is inadequate.
Prostatitis tends to recur even after successful antibiotic therapy.
You can avoid prostate irritants, such as caffeine, alcohol, citrus fruits, and spicy foods. Sitting in a hot bath for 10-15 min will also relieve prostatitis pain and will aid healing. Avoid sitting on hard or inadequately padded surfaces or for longer durations.
Your urologist will evaluate the extent of pain and decide about the length of treatment required and whether the prostate is still inflamed or enlarged.

regards,
Hey thanks for the info. I stopped drinking / smoking / coffee and spicy foods. Ive also talked to a homeopathic doctor and he told me to completely stop eating anything dairy / red meat. Im now on my 15th day of antiobiotics and the pain is starting to die out. I am still unable to play sports or even jog though..
Im assuming that the antiobiotics is finally working and that its killing the inflimation / infection.
Now.. the thing that is  'bothering' me is the cyst.. My girflriend doesnt like how it looks and neither do i... Is surgery the only solution for removing the cyst? its on my epididimis. Or is there any medication? Will i have it forever? As far as i can tell i dont have any pain from the cyst, it was all from the prostate ( which my uroglosist said shares the same nerves at the testicle which causes them to hurt).
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Its good to hear that you are recovering. Prostate symptoms take comparatively longer to respond to antibiotics as it is difficult for antibiotics to penetrate prostate tissue.

In my personal opinion, it would be better to wait until the prostate symptoms resolve before attempting any intervention for the epididymal cyst. This is so you can avoid adding the inflammatory effects of trauma to a recovering organ, and also because spacing the surgical treatment would give you another course of antibiotics (for surgery) after this course has been completed. As the cyst is a problem esthetically and is asymptomatic otherwise, it is safe to let it be for the time being.

Unfortunately, there is no medicine you can take to make it go away. The cyst can be drained through a needle, but can come back after a month or two. Also, there is some risk of infection.
Surgery for the cyst involves a cut in your scrotum and the cyst will be excised. Complications include injury to the epididymis, which can affect fertility, hydrocele, recurrence of the cyst on the same or on the other side. You will be advised rest from strenuous activities for about 2 weeks and normal activities can slowly be resumed about 2months from the time of surgery.

If you have stopped dairy and red meat products, ensure that you get your iron and calcium requirement from alternative sources. These include fish (calcium) and salad (iron, vitamins, etc.).

regards,
Yeah so I'm 14 and I think that I have a spermotocele or whatever it is called. Anyways will this ever go away and if not, is there surgery or something that I can get. Also, I have little
White bumps at the base of my penis and I have gone to the doctor but she wasn't very helpful and didn't tell me anything about them. Someone please help.
I also have a lump on my right test testical, which also hangs lower than my left testical. I also had an ultrasound  done and was told that I have a Spermotocele vein. I've been like this for almost 3 years. Dr at the ime told me that I would need a simple procedure to remove it. At times I would also have to use the rest room but i would get an extreme amount of heat @ my lower abs and i'd break out in a sweat.
hey joey247 sounds a lot like me a cyst on my right tesicle or epiduemis and, im haveing a lot of pain. im taking antibyotic. ut still having pain. i rember you say the sperm may be making a blockege and can be drained by a neddle at a clinic. if so wat would i ask for and such. plus the pain started after some kid hit me betwen the legs rite before i was aou to turn 13. im 14 now and almost 15 it would be nice if u could help me in anyway i dont know if joey and i have the same problem or some thing else.
I'm only 16, and I think I have a cyst in my left scrotum it's floating around in there when I touch the lump it doesn't hurt but when I lye down it dies.. I'm pretty scared dont know what to do,
hi

somebody can help me out  for treatment of sebaceous cyst on testis skin. i been to skin doctor, they said go to urogoly doctor or remove by surgery.. i embrass & little bit scare becoz cyst on testis skin.

if any one can give suggestion without any surgery can remove? there any gel herbal or some any other treatment... please let me know, really appreciated.